• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Where to buy? Cladding Kits

Brew

I would like to get the kit for the cladding around the back window/sail panels and over the tool box lids. I have seen a post on this but can't find it any more. I know the kit is around $800. Links to the manufacture and the post would be great.  Thanks

Brew said:
I would like to get the kit for the cladding around the back window/sail panels and over the tool box lids. I have seen a post on this but can't find it any more. I know the kit is around $800. Links to the manufacture and the post would be great.   Thanks

Has this question been answered yet; if not,

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?category%7ccategory_root%7c-25=Exterior&category%7ccat_-25%7c344=Bed+Accessories&canned_results_trigger=&partfamilyid=21510

They are $649.99 USD + $75 shipping if you're going to have them painted yourself (recommended), otherwise, $1149.99 + shipping to have them paint them for you in advance. And if this has already been taken care of...sorry!

Cola13 said:
Has this question been answered yet; if not,

http://www.stylintrucks.com/parts.aspx?category%7ccategory_root%7c-25=Exterior&category%7ccat_-25%7c344=Bed+Accessories&canned_results_trigger=&partfamilyid=21510

They are $649.99 USD + $75 shipping if you're going to have them painted yourself (recommended), otherwise, $1149.99 + shipping to have them paint them for you in advance. And if this has already been taken care of...sorry!

Hey Thanks for the link. Quick question. Why it is recommended to painted yourself, Cheaper? or their paint quality is not that good? I'm on the fence right of weather order this or not.
Thanks in advance

I don't have it.  But i looked at it too.  It sticks on with 3M tape .  for over a $1000 i was looking for replacement parts not stick-on's

jtdchevy said:
I don't have it.  But i looked at it too.  It sticks on with 3M tape .  for over a $1000 i was looking for replacement parts not stick-on's
From what I have read, most kits are stick on like the above and the old Southern Comfort "slick kit" which had less parts. The easiest and cheapest was to get a smooth look is to buy the cladding pieces for the Cadillac EXT which several members here have done and have it painted to match your AV. The added benefit to the Cadillac pieces is the large third brake light. You may also find the pieces in a junk yard or on eBay vs. a Cadillac dealer too.

Some members have also sanded the AV cladding and painted it but the best way to do that is to remove all the cladding first,usually that leads to breaking the plastic clips that hold the cladding and they aren't cheap to replace either.

Just a little info for you folks, all cladding is the same shape and size except the tailgate spoiler it's different on the 07 up. So the overlays will fit 02 thru 09 except the tailgate spoiler.

The reason it cost more to ship painted is because the paint may be scratched or chipped in shipping. You will get a better paint match if you take it somewhere local and they can color match it.

Usually you can find a local collision shop to smooth and paint the cladding for about 800.00 dollars. HTH

Also do yourself a favor smoothed it, it looks real bad if you don't.

Has anyone priced a kit from Cadillac? I'd prefer not to have stick on pieces. My Avy sits outside in the sun and rain and I don't trust the longevity of the 3M tape.

CHEQ6 said:
Has anyone priced a kit from Cadillac? I'd prefer not to have stick on pieces. My Avy sits outside in the sun and rain and I don't trust the longevity of the 3M tape.

The VHB red backed tape is what the factory uses to hold the side  molding and bits of trim on most cars and trucks it should hold in almost all weather conditions especially if the area is cleaned and prepped properly and especially if adhesion promoter is used.
As far as the Cadillac , several members have purchased the pieces and replaced the AV cladding, if you search you will find many photos and prices. Last I remember to buy all Cadillac pieces it was about $1,200 I think.

The ext cladding is really expensive the whole upper set will cost you $3000+ before paint.
The tool box lids are $600 each, and the tailgate top trim is $400. Sails will run you $1000+ for all 4 pieces. and the third light will run you $600.

I have the 3rd brake light, inner sails and driver side toolbox lid and have been scouring the earth for the rest.
Cheaper then the above obviously.

Heres more info:
http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,70747.0/all.html

There are some good points in this thread and I wanted to respond to a few.  My name is Matt and I'm the guy selling these kits on ebay for the past few years. 

The 3M adhesive tape is inadequate to hold cladding onto the factory panels.  We recommend using an adhesion promoter on the factory panels, followed by a panel adhesive.  Panel adhesive will ensure that the panels never come off, which is the whole point.

It would be great if a company could produce a direct replacement for the factory panels and sell it for $1,000 painted.  Unfortunately, that is wildly unrealistic.  I've done some rough math on this subject, and nobody could produce these parts at a price that would compete with GM's factory Cadillac pieces.  I can expound if anybody cares to hear the reasoning, but the molds would cost around $150,000 and there is not a huge demand for this stuff.  It's awfully expensive to amortize a 150k investment over a few pieces a month.

The overlay fits very tightly to the factory cladding.  In fact, after the kit is installed it's very difficult to tell that an overlay is installed.  I would be amazed if anybody ever noticed.

As noted, the overlay fits all years of Avalanches except for the tailgate piece.  That piece can be modified to fit the 06 and older trucks or you can trim it to fit a Putco chrome cover. 

Finally, people have asked about buying the kit painted.  In my experience, it's far better for the consumer to have the kit painted locally.  One main reason is that all paint fades, and the only way to match existing paint is to have the vehicle present when painting the kit.  Another reason is that we sell the kit at a price where you can buy it, have your local shop paint it and install it professionally, and still have less money invested than buying a pre-painted kit.  Painted kits can be scratched in shipping, or they can be scratched during installation.  If a customer tells me that a kit was scratched in the box, and I believe that it wasn't, what do I do? 

Anyway, I hope I answered some of your questions.  I've been reading the AV boards for a couple years but couldn't get an account approved for some reason.

Thanks, Matt

Back