• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

A/C light flashing

zigger

Hey boys and girls, virgin on here, great info by the way...
Well the weather here is a bit wacko lately so go from heat in the ealry AM to full blast AC by afternoon. I push the A/C (snowflake) button on my 07 LTZ and it flashes 3 times than goes off; no a/c just hot air, just like GM.
Does anyone have any idea what this is about? Is my freeon empty? WTF? Thanks

What year, and which a/c do you have? I have a 2002 and they offered two styles of a/c. The standard a/c goes from "heat" to "cold" on the controls, while the premium has actual temperature numbers on the controls. (Set the temp and the system blends the air automatically.

Anyway.. on my premium a/c if The Vent control is set anywhere between the 12:00 position to the 5:00 position the a/c will not work. The dial MUST be to the left of the 12:00 position. (From defrost through dash vent position) The A/C will NOT work with the vent control ANYwhere in the heat position. It has something to do with the way the air circulates in the system. Something about the discharge air being sucked right back into the recirculate system.

Check our owners manual.

Pressing this button when the outside temperature
is too cool for air conditioning will make the air
conditioning indicator flash three times and
then turn off to let you know the air conditioning
mode is not available. If the air conditioning
is on and the outside temperature drops below a
temperature which is too cool for air conditioning
to be effective, the air conditioning light will turn off
to let you know the air conditioning mode has
been canceled.

I guess I got the premium a/c; 2007 LTZ, no dial for a/c, its digital and temp controls up or down. Not sure what 12:00 - 5:00 setting, I imagine that is setting for knob but no knob here. The temp outside is warm so don't know why its doing that?? Am I low on freeon or pump is shot? I tried different vent controls settings such as front vent, windshield, floor but still doing same BS.

It's trying to tell ya something is wrong, I thing a dealer visit is in order.

At one point a couple years back you could push a few buttons on the unit and it would give you a code, but not any more or at least I could not find it in the documentation I have.

Sorry when the light is flashing it is setting a Bxxxx code(body code) they are not easy to get read.

Hi all, I live in the rainy Netherlands (europe) and i like to have my AC always on(so the humidity in the car is controllable) If the outside temp isn't high enough the AC is off, but when it's "cold"outside and i step in the car with a rainy wet jacket and trousers, i can't see a thing anymore trough te windshield.

Is there a solution for this?

You may have to let the AV run for a while and increase the fan speed manually.
You do have it in defrost mode.

I like my '02 dual manual climate control better than my '04 dual auto climate control.

If I start my truck and turn on the heater/defrost it shuts off sometimes. If I want to go back inside and let it warm up for 5-10 minutes I increase the fan speed manually to max on defrost to insure it stays on. If it's really cold I put a blanket on my driver seat now when I turn on my seat heater.

I have to manually turn the fan to max at 3AM after work all the time to clear my windshield.

I know this is an old topic but I'm experiencing the same exact problem and after searching I found this topic.  I'm in Mississipp and the temperatures in January can still be in the 60s like today.  I often workout on my lunch hour and after hitting the showers and getting back in my truck I'm often still sweating a little.  Therefore most of the time I turn on the AC to cool down but today I got the flashing snow flake icon.  It's been much cooler than it is today and has always turned on before.  Do any of you still have this problem?

UPDATE:  My AC is working again.  When I left work at 3:30 it was 68 degrees.  My AC was on when I started the AV.  The snow flake stayed on the entire time.  I actually had to turn the temperture up after a few minutes of driving because it was too cool. I don't know but maybe the deal with the AC not running when it isn't cold enough is accurate. But it had to be at least 60 degrees when I left the gym on my lunch break and it wouldn't stay on then.  Well I'm glad it's working now. I'll keep an eye out on it.

I know this is an old thread but it was the first one to pop up and my search results. When I look for this problem. It's definitely related to the temperature. When the outside temperature falls below a certain point, the truck will not cycle the compressor. Not sure exactly what that temperature is, but I think it's published in the owner's manual. My guess it's around 5° of freezing so 37 to 38° Fahrenheit

Back