• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Window Regulator / Motor

02RedZ66

On Monday morning I tried to lower my window and much to my surprise, the window would not go down. When I hit the button I could hear the motor turning but no window movement whatsoever. I decided to use the handy search feature here on chevyavalanchfanclub.com and diagnosed it as a bad window regulator. After taking the door panel off, I saw the snapped cable and was 100% sire it was the regulator. I could not find any one specific post that provided with step by step instructions including pictures, but I decided to go ahead and order the part and do it myself anyways. While waiting for the regulator / motor combo, I did a bunch of google and yahoo searches and found an awesome set of instructions that I wanted to pass on to everyone. I do not know the guy who went through the hassle of the "blog", but his directions were extremely easy to follow.

Link:
http://www.domenicknaccarato.com/blog/2008/05/03/how-to-replace-a-window-regulator/

I have removed by door panel many times so I was very familiar with the beginning steps. Overall, it took me just under an hour from start to finish and now I have a fully functioning power window.

Thanks for the instructions! I am getting ready to replace my rear passenger motor and needed these.

(y)
great! I just lost my driver's door window operation today and now I can save some bucks repairing. I just got thru fixing ABS front brake speed sensors so I don't need any more big repair bills for awhile. Thansk dude! :D

Its not the motor - it is the window regulator its self.

Probably a $125 part from GM - along with a glass shop technicians time to put it in for you.  Probably another $40

I already put both front window regulators in my avalanche.

It's a very common problem.

Just be glad that the window stays up in a Chevy.

The window goes down and won't roll up in a Jeep Liberty!

awesome link! mine just went out and I think I can handle this even if I'm blonde! :D

Alas, my 2002 AV front driver side went out also, it was the cable that broke. At first i wasn't sure what broke motor or regulator, and after pricing it out i figured i'd just get the whole thing for $100 at Murrays.  There are great directions people give but i suggest one thing i didn't see.  Before yo install new one, loosen the clamps where the window fits in but DON'T try to hooking up the wires and switch and raising the window up.  I did and it ended up coming off the track, had a another trip to auto store  :beating:.  The second time i just slowly , stop-go-stop etc. , raised the clamps up and made sure the window went in the clamp.  It took me less then an hour to do, Good Luck.

PS  In case you missed it from above- Directions w/pics
Link:
http://www.domenicknaccarato.com/blog/2008/05/03/how-to-replace-a-window-regulator/

did mine last summer. ordered regulator from gm car parts direct under $80
install took longer than it should have due to my door being Dynomated.
had it completed in 3 hrs due to the fact that I had to re-rout  the speaker wires.

should have only taken little over 1-1.5 hr

Havnt been on in a while but i always get the info i need when i need it  (y) my window started making some bad cable ripping noise  :( Looks like its an easy fix! Wheres the best place to get one? Whats the part# for an 04' Thanks!

Mine was for a 02 AV.
Ordered from Car Stuff
Replacment Window Regulator - 2002-2006 Chevy Acalanche 1500
Brand- Replacment
Item #C462936
List 275.12  Car Stuff Cost 52.95 +shipping $17.50

Been in 8 months so far so good. (y)

Is it really necessary to change both the motor and the regulator?  I already ordered the motor and i've seen on other threads that the regulator resets it self..  am i misunderstanding it?

Lange said:
I just purchased one of these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000E4N2PW/ref=ox_ya_os_product
for the price its was worth it to buy the whole thing. Worked out great! Thanks for the part #'s

But will this fit on an 03 Avalanche? Would be excellent if so as I am seeing much higher prices all around. Also, would it still be the regulator if the window goes to a slow and ultimatly stops going up? The window rolls down just fine. I was just wondering if I need to also replace the motors... Yup, both my front and rear passenger windows are doing this.

Thanks all

I'm just getting a click when I hit the button up or down.  It will occasionally go down/up but not very often. 
Any suggestions before I pull the panel and replace the whole assembly?
Thanks!

I just did mine on the driver's side.

The story begins. . . . . . . . .  In a stroke of genius, after leaving the self serve car wash in 29 degree weather, I decided to lower the driver's window to talk to someone.  Track FROZEN SOLID!  SNAP . . . CRUNCH!!!!  That was it.

I checked out this thread first thing and ordered the regulator/motor assembly from 1A Auto.  Seems to work fine.  Only time will tell if it's a good unit.

I used the instructions on the blog posted here, and also A1's numerous videos.  The hardest part was taking the door panel off without breaking anything, which is another story.

I saved a lot of money doing it myself, but I only wished the whole thing went easier with the door panel removal.  I needed to consume various beverages afterwards, in order to calm my nerves.

Hello, Everyone:

Just got back into an Avalanche after a 6-year absence.  Thought I'd pass on something I learned about window regulator replacement, while owning an '01 Lesabre.

A few years ago, I found a place in Brooklyn that repairs "stock" regulators for $85.    They install stronger and more durable cables, and replace the pulleys with stronger components, when necessary.

I live in Central Illinois.  Believe it or not, the average turnaround time, including shipping both ways, is 7 days.

Have had such good luck that I wouldn't expect having to repair the same regulator, twice.  Don't expect to purchase another after-market regulator.

For anyone that may be interested, you can find them @ www.windowregulatorsusa.com

Nick

Thanks so much for the link.

On my '02, I did the entire job in 45 minutes and spent only $30 by getting the regulator on eBay.  (y)

awesome instructions and great video on the A1 Auto...both helped alot....good to go now... :B: (y)

Back