• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

SIR-GM1 Sirius install in '04 w/out factory XM

kidcurrie

I have an '04 with factory Bose / 6-CD unit and do not have factory XM unit.  I am trying to install the SIR-GM1....  I had the head unit out tonight and can't find ANY space to put it - at least within reach of the T-Harness cable supplied with it.  The instructions say NOT to cut/lengthen the supplied harness or I'd do so and mount the unit near the glove box.
I saw some other threads with great writeups with pics of how to replace the factory XM with this unit but not without XM.  Has anyone done this and can you give some advice on how you mounted the SIR-GM1 unit?  Thanks.

I put SIR-GM1 in my Avalanche and Suburban, the best place that I have found is under the dash cover. In order to do this you will need to remove the entire dash cover and place the receiver under the dash (behind the airbag area and above were factory XM is at) I have the antenna sitting on top of the dash with double sided tape and it works just fine.

Back