• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

This is a Hint for all you D.I.Y ers in the stereo dept

Old No.7 Avalanche

SM 2009
SM 2008
SM 2006
Hey everyone, as many of you may know I work outta Motorvations, a stereo shop on the Island (y). I have recently been getting alot of requests on how to know wether on not the wires going towards the speakers are right (polarity wise). Well this is helpful hint that I'm posting up so all anyone has to do is check the site and it will be here.: Keep in mind this is for all you guys that want to put new speakers in and run them to a new amp. Although you can use this for any speakers (for your polarity) (y) #7
1). Put your speakers in your doors and run all your wires to your amp.
2). Either have a spotter or if you can see your speakers you can do this yourself.
3). Take a (aa) or (aaa) battery and "tap" each set of wires (one positive + and one negative-).
3). When you "tap" the wires you should see the cone (center) of the speaker go out (towards you) and not in (towards the door). If the speaker doesn't go out simply reverse the wires on the battery.
4). The cone going out is the correct polarity (+)(-). Don't worry the battery will not harm the speaker (y)
5). This will work on all makes of speakers , subs,and tweeters. (y)
6). hope this helps, any questions PM me.

Frankie (OLD NO.7)

Most wires I have ever used have had a way to identify one from the other, like a small ridge, color code, different thickness of insulation on one strand, but then I am "OLD School" according to BandT0913.

This is also a method to help "Ring" out a line.

chevydan said:
This is also a method to help "Ring" out a line.
(y)I had forgotten to put that in, good looking out. This is just for the members that wind up putting together a stereo and forget to mark their wires. It's one of those quickie ways to keep on going rather than take the whole thing apart (y)  Good looking out Chevydan    #7

Old No.7 Avalanche said:
3). Take a 9volt battery and "tap" each set of wires (one positive + and one negative-).
3). When you "tap" the wires you should see the cone (center) of the speaker go out (towards you) and not in (towards the door). If the speaker doesn't go out simply reverse the wires on the battery.
4). The cone going out is the correct polarity (+)(-). Don't worry the battery will not harm the speaker (y)

Frankie (OLD NO.7)
You mean from the wires at the amp "tap" each set?

omlifecrew said:
You mean from the wires at the amp "tap" each set?
Thats correct, say you think the wires that are in your hand go to the left front, but aren't to sure, you tap those wires and you'll hear a "pop" at that same time, you or a spotter look at that speaker.The center "cone" should be going outward not inward. then all you have to do is look at the side of the batt. and you will know what is (+) and (-). (y) #7

im just being picky but it would be pretty hard to tell for the tweeter(or atleast mine anyways) unless you had a way to pop off the grille(mine dont) :E:

baker11 said:
im just being picky but it would be pretty hard to tell for the tweeter(or atleast mine anyways) unless you had a way to pop off the grille(mine dont) :E:
Your right, some of them don't. But for the ones that do,this is a pretty good way (y)#7

I've done this trick for years, but only used a AA 1.5v battery. You don't need 9 volts to push a speaker coil even its a sub.

Another trick that I have used many times for marking my wires (I have a total re-wire for my stereo system)((currently w/18 speakers)) use wire ties on each pair (+ -) of speaker or RCA's with your own system to remember them (1 red tie is right, 1 black is left, 2 red is front etc,etc.)
  writing your code down is helpful too is it gets too complicated !!!

KING_AVALANCHE said:
Another trick that I have used many times for marking my wires (I have a total re-wire for my stereo system)((currently w/18 speakers)) use wire ties on each pair (+ -) of speaker or RCA's with your own system to remember them (1 red tie is right, 1 black is left, 2 red is front etc,etc.)
  writing your code down is helpful too is it gets too complicated !!!

:jacked:

That's a nice siggy pic you got there King. You should use the {center][/center} command (with the proper brackets on the outside of course) to get it in the middle.

Old No.7 Avalanche said:
Hey everyone, as many of you may know I work outta Motorvations, a stereo shop on the Island (y). I have recently been getting alot of requests on how to know wether on not the wires going towards the speakers are right (polarity wise). Well this is helpful hint that I'm posting up so all anyone has to do is check the site and it will be here.: Keep in mind this is for all you guys that want to put new speakers in and run them to a new amp. Although you can use this for any speakers (for your polarity) (y) #7
1). Put your speakers in your doors and run all your wires to your amp.
2). Either have a spotter or if you can see your speakers you can do this yourself.
3). Take a 9volt battery and "tap" each set of wires (one positive + and one negative-).

Frankie (OLD NO.7)

on checking the polarity of speakers dont use above a 1.5 volt battery  (aaa)  to make sure not to damage speakers.

I have always used a 9v and have never had any problems (I have been doing this for over 15 years). although if it will help, I'll change the original post  :cool:#7

it doesnt matter to me haha i was just saying what was in the MEI/MECP hand book. i used a 9v my self untill i read about that

Jason122h said:
it doesnt matter to me haha i was just saying what was in the MEI/MECP hand book. i used a 9v my self untill i read about that
I hear ya. (y) It's all good, last thing we need is a newbie blowing up their speakers by holding the battery on there as apposed to just "tapping" the Battery and we get yelled at..  :laugh:.
Good heads up Jason. (y)#7

Old No.7 Avalanche said:
I hear ya. (y) It's all good, last thing we need is a newbie blowing up their speakers by holding the battery on there as apposed to just "tapping" the Battery and we get yelled at..  :laugh:.
Good heads up Jason. (y)#7

good call  (y) 

so what all do you do on cars?

Jason122h said:
good call   (y) 

so what all do you do on cars?
Everything, I did my entre truck. I also have a Harley that I choppered, 1968 Impala conv't, 1974 chevelle Laguna S-3. (y)#7

Attachments

• My 93 HD 3.jpg
    My 93 HD 3.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,996
  • my 1968 Impala.jpg
    my 1968 Impala.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 1,993
  • My AV.jpg
    My AV.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 1,991
Back