• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

having trouble changing spark plugs

iamchevyman5

Hey,
I went to change my old plugs to new AC Delco Iridiums today, but I couldn't get the damned plug wires off. I even had a plug wire boot puller, though it wasn't a great one. I tried and I tried, to no avail. I didn't want to cut into the wires and end up having to have it done professionally. It just seems like the wires are really suck on there. Also, I haven't bought wires for the tune up yet because I can't figure out what ignition coils I have. For those who don't know, when buying wires you have to know what ignition coil you have because the wires you purchase will depend on which ignition coils your particular avalanche was made with. I've looked all over both ignition coils, cleaned them off as well as I could, but still I couldn't find any giant neon sign saying "Mitsubishi" or "delphi." I've heard through other forums that you're supposed to find the part number from the coil and use that to decipher which brand it is. Well the closest to a part number that I found was a series of about 5 numbers and letters stamped on the passenger side coil. With GM part numbers though, they use something like 8 numbers. . .no letters.
So what's up? Do I just have to pull like hell on these boots? The boot puller definately isn't going to work.

Better boot puller tool....??

I had an 03 ... I ordered Taylor thundervolt wires for Av and they never cared which coil I had .....

besides ... pull on those bad boys they will come off ....

I just used a big pair of channel locks to pull on the spark plug boot. It really took some tugging and pulling the first time, but they did come off without damage. When I replaced my spark plug wires on my 02, no one ever asked which ignition coils I had.

I used a mechanic and some Dunkin Donuts coffee with a morning paper and was done in about an hour.

I wish I could do it iamten7's method, but don't have enough money so I'll have to do it myself. Ha. I'll take the advice of using channel locks, but I'm worried that I'll damage the plug wires and/or wont be able to access some of the harder to reach plugs or plug wires. Someone tell me something comforting for THAT. The plugs towards the rear of the engine look pretty impossible to access. Anyone know how to find the coil manufacture?

iamchevyman5 said:
Hey,
I went to change my old plugs to new AC Delco Iridiums today, but I couldn't get the damned plug wires off. I even had a plug wire boot puller, though it wasn't a great one. I tried and I tried, to no avail. I didn't want to cut into the wires and end up having to have it done professionally. It just seems like the wires are really suck on there. Also, I haven't bought wires for the tune up yet because I can't figure out what ignition coils I have. For those who don't know, when buying wires you have to know what ignition coil you have because the wires you purchase will depend on which ignition coils your particular avalanche was made with. I've looked all over both ignition coils, cleaned them off as well as I could, but still I couldn't find any giant neon sign saying "Mitsubishi" or "delphi." I've heard through other forums that you're supposed to find the part number from the coil and use that to decipher which brand it is. Well the closest to a part number that I found was a series of about 5 numbers and letters stamped on the passenger side coil. With GM part numbers though, they use something like 8 numbers. . .no letters.
So what's up? Do I just have to pull like hell on these boots? The boot puller definately isn't going to work.
the coils look totally different... i have yet to find an av' with delphi coils, i think they all came with mitsubishi's

Attachments

• delphi coil.jpg
    delphi coil.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 625
  • mitsubishi  coil.jpg
    mitsubishi coil.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 629
Let I said in my earlier post, I used the channel locks and tugged and pulled on the hard rubber boot down close to the spark plug and I didn't hurt anything. The rubber on those boots is some pretty hard stuff.

iamten7 said:
I used a mechanic and some Dunkin Donuts coffee with a morning paper and was done in about an hour.
Cheater. :laugh:

02 Z71 said:
Let I said in my earlier post, I used the channel locks and tugged and pulled on the hard rubber boot down close to the spark plug and I didn't hurt anything. The rubber on those boots is some pretty hard stuff.
X2

They're tough. Just take you time and grip the wire as close to the plug as you can. Twist it clockwise/counter-clockwise as much as you can and then start pulling.

update! :B:
The only way I was able to get the spark plug wires out was to take them out with the metal shroud dirt covers at the same time. How do you put those back on? I can't put them back on!!! Besides that, the worst part of the tune was the cold. Like ohiobellboy said, the spark plug close to the firewall on the passenger side is by far the hardest. All I have left to finish is to tighten the spark plugs on the right side of the engine to the torque specs, FIGURE OUT HOW TO PUT THOSE DAMNED METAL THINGS BACK ON!!!, and put new plugs on. I think I'm going to go with autolite's. They're the cheapest, but they still make a good product. There's no sense in spending $100 on new plug wires (like MSDs or something) on an engine with almost 200,000.

That's a heat shield, not a dirt cover. Keep playing with them, you'll get them.
As far as the plugs I went with the factory delcos that came in it. I'm not running any extra HP goodies so I stayed stock.

ohiobellboy said:
That's a heat shield, not a dirt cover. Keep playing with them, you'll get them.
As far as the plugs I went with the factory delcos that came in it. I'm not running any extra HP goodies so I stayed stock.
heat shield, dirt cover, or whatever the hell the thing is, I still couldn't put them back in their places today. I'll try again tomorrow, but pressing really hard didn't work and wiggling them in the same way I wiggled them out didn't work, so I don't know what maneuver to try to put them back.

I installed a set of Granatelli stainless steel  core wires  (a gift  from my uncle). He told me the metal shields have something to do with supressing electronic interference. The shields fit right over the boots on my wires, with the spring side toward the engine. I used channel locks to get the original wires off and I don't think I damaged them. I crushed one shield a little bit but I was able to round it out and fit the boot in. Good luck.

Rob

I did not install the heat shields and have not had any sort of problems in 100,000 miles. I had the same issue trying to get them on and finnally said screw it and tossed them. I am running the MSD wires and I also used Sparkplug grease on the end of the plugs. This helps them come off easier the next time. I have changed plugs 4 times now and I have no issues getting the wires on or off. So rememberto put some die electric grease on the top of the plugs before you put the wires back on.

Hi folks,  I'm getting ready to change my plugs and wires(I'm near 100k) on  my 2005.  I've been searching out the best options and have decided on either AC Delco OEM's or Autolite XP's for the plugs.  Now, as for the plug wires.  I contacted my local Chevy dealer and they insisted that I tell them which coil I have on my truck.  They said it matters when deciding which plug wires to replace the old ones with. 
  OK!  How do I tell which coils I have?  Parts guy tells me I have to take a coil off and see what numbers is stamped on it.  It should be 8693 or 5218.
I tell Him the numbers on the existing plug wires(AC Delco 0745) but He says that number doesn't compute.  He needs the coil number....
  So what gives?  Do I need to get that number before getting new wires? 

:help:  I have a picture saved on my PC but I can't figure out how to insert it???  DUH!!

Does this help. Found on the AC Delco site

STAMPED 12558693, MITSUBISHI, SQUARE COIL ; 8 Per Veh

Per Vehicle: 8; Years: 2004-2006

D581_Primary.jpg

STAMPED 19005218, DELPHI, ROUND COIL ; 8 Per Veh

Per Vehicle: 8; Years: 2002-2006

D585_Primary.jpg

Thanks for the pics!  (y)
  Yeah, I was pretty sure they were Mitsubishi(Malco) but wanted to be sure so I took off a coil and looked.  
As a side note.  You can remove the plug wire, then wipe off the underside of the coil and you should be able to see the number using a mirror from the underside or your cell phone for a pic.   the number on the Mitsubishi(Malco) is stamped right below where the plug wire connects as it sits in the head.
 Also, per the pictures above, the Mitsubishi (AC Delco PN D581) has more of the golden brown gel look to it that can be seen without removing anything.  The Delphi(AC Delco PN D585) has the radiator looking coil instead.  
   FYI, per AC Delco(after some prodding) the difference is the Delphi uses a 9.2 inch wire and the Mitsubishi(Malco) uses a 10.5 inch wire. So if you were to get the 10.5 inch wires they would work either way.  But, if you got the 9.2 inch wires there Is a possibility that you may come up a little short.
 So now the question is,  Which plugs and wires should I use :p :D :D

When removing the plug wires if you want to reuse them be careful that you don't crimp them with a pair of pliers or channel locks...

Proper way to remove plug boots is to rotate the boot on the plug to break then free then they should pull off easier.

If you are replacing the wires you don't care if the wire comes off in one piece but you still want to twist the boot to loosen them before pulling. They will twist much easier than just yanking them outright. You can bust the plug off if you do not twist the boot first. (have broken off plugs if pulling cables without twisting. Have also pulled wires apart if I didn't twist first.)

Rodney

I would not reuse the wires, get new ones.  (y)

And remember to put a little boot grease on the end of the plugs.  This allows you to remove the wires easily. I Change mine every 60k and the wires come right off. Also add thread grease to the plug threads. This keeps the plugs tight and let's them come out easy.

Back