• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Wheel Speed Sensor

Logan925

SM 2009
Ok I have sifted threw enough threads and can not find the answer to this one. I am having the ABS engage at alow speed problem, started after I changed all my rotors and pads. Anyway Can the wheel speed sensors be changed alone or do I have to buy a whole hub  :beating: . And another quick ? is there anything else that could of cause this since it was a few days after I did all the brakes and rotors  ???

Thanks!

Front wheel speed sensors are inside the Hub, rear ones are on the rear axle. I don't see how you could have hunt them with the pad changed, but they do wear out.

For the front ones Yes.

Before you shell out your hard earned bucks on new wheel bearings, here is some things that you need to look at.

First, since I know that you know how to change the calipers and the brake pads, you might want to do a couple of things.

GM has a recall notice about the wheel speed sensors.  The problem originates from vehicles driven in the rust belt states - where there is corrosion present, that actually lifts the wheel sensor out of the bore of the wheel bearing.

GM has two fixes for this problem.  The first is that they take the sensor out and clean the area - where the sensor goes into the wheel bearing.  The file the machined boss - where the sensor goes into the bearing and they apply some silicone sealer to the sensor and they hope that it lasts long enough to get you out of their garage - where it then becomes your problem.

The second fix comes when you complain that the wheels are locking up while you are traveling at slow speeds.  Then they abandon the first remedy and they replace the whole wheel bearing assembly - on GM's nickle.

If you take the front caliper bracket off and the brake rotor, you will have access to the front wheel bearing.  If you can wiggle the bearing up and down or side to side - it is shot and must be replaced.

If you look at the sensor and it is out of the bore - it will look like as if someone tried to pry it out of the wheel bearing and the flange that holds it to the bearing will be distorted, you can either file it and try to get it back in the bearing or you can take it to the GM garage and let them try to fix it - at no cost to you.

If the wheel bearing is bad, they are going to want you to pay for the new bearing and labor.  So you either have to decide to check it before you take it to the garage or be willing to pay for the repairs - if they refuse to replace the bearing for free.

Monte Carlo Man said:
GM has a recall notice about the wheel speed sensors. 

I shorten your post it's a TSB not a recall they can still charge for a TSB.

I had to take my truck the the shop today  :cry: I was planning to to tackle the hub when the weather got warmer and try to get it on myself but on the way to class today the driver side front wheel was smoking it was getting so hot. I think my caliper siezed or started dragging so I just took it to the shop cause with class I don't have time to do anything to it right now

Sorry to see this, it probably collapsed.

Good luck with it.

Just called and my truck is finished, the caliper had not completely collapsed it was just sticking which I'm glad I caught before it completely went the smoke rolling off that wheel was nuts people were pointing at my truck and everything hahaha. ANyway the hubs were both left on and he jus cleaned both wheel sensors i guess the scan came up empty for a bad sensor.  :D Hopefully they hold up for awhile and when they do go I'll rip her apart myself  >:D

Thanks MS03 and Monte Carlo Man for the help and I def know who to pm when I need help  (y)

Back