• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Refinish Restorer in Denver Area?

TCR1

Well, I assume that at least a few of you have given the Refinish Restorer a try.  HAve you found it locally? 

Prep of the cladding seems to be all over the place.  Is it enough to just run it through a car wash, let it dry, then add the Refinish Restorer?

My bed panels are ash white now and should be dark grey.

I thought I would give this a try since it would enhance the trucks natural charisma  :D

Thanks for the follow up.  I'm going ot check the local Wal Mart since there were reports of it tbeing at Wal Mart in another thread. 

One thing I don't like is having a lot of extra product around the garage, especially chemicals, so I am hopeful that I can find a smaller sized bottle as well...probably not a very good chance of that...but then again, maybe some of the CO guys would be interested...we get tons of sun here.

TCR1 said:
Well, I assume that at least a few of you have given the Refinish Restorer a try.  HAve you found it locally? 

Prep of the cladding seems to be all over the place.  Is it enough to just run it through a car wash, let it dry, then add the Refinish Restorer?

My bed panels are ash white now and should be dark grey.

I thought I would give this a try since it would enhance the trucks natural charisma  :D

I have only been able to find it on line. Let us know what you find.

plumbob

I have tried all of the Auto Body Shop Equipment and Suppliers in the Yellow Pages.  Best response I got was from Jim at Allen Paint.  He might look into it more and I will call him tomorrow to see if his interest is piqued enough.  Would there be enough people interested in using it to make it worthwhile for him to get some in?

Otherwise, I'll order it from the net at some point.  Ditchek.com is the one that pops up on a google search for 39.95/liter.  from the posts I have read on the forums a liter is far more than a person needs to do two coats on a cladded avy.

If there is a GTG soon, maybe I'll order it before then, treat my Avy and see if anybody else is interested.  May as well wait for spring when there might be a few more nice warm days though this winter has been incredibly mild (or downright warm).

TCR1 said:
I have tried all of the Auto Body Shop Equipment and Suppliers in the Yellow Pages.  Best response I got was from Jim at Allen Paint.  He might look into it more and I will call him tomorrow to see if his interest is piqued enough.  Would there be enough people interested in using it to make it worthwhile for him to get some in?

Otherwise, I'll order it from the net at some point.  Ditchek.com is the one that pops up on a google search for 39.95/liter.  from the posts I have read on the forums a liter is far more than a person needs to do two coats on a cladded avy.

If there is a GTG soon, maybe I'll order it before then, treat my Avy and see if anybody else is interested.  May as well wait for spring when there might be a few more nice warm days though this winter has been incredibly mild (or downright warm).

I'm in for a GTG with the Refinish Restorer. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm in for one can if you get Jim to bring it in.  (y)

plumbob

plumbob said:
I'm in for a GTG with the Refinish Restorer. I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'm in for one can if you get Jim to bring it in.  (y)

plumbob

Maybe we should shoot for an early-April GTG and do the Refinish Restorer treatment.  I don't know that the peeps without the tupperware would do, but surely they could find something. 

I saw the "mod" where the guy added a palstic rubbermaid drawer under his back seats.  That one may need to get done...I also am curious about 12 volt plugs in my center console...My wife and I are looking at a little sportscar that doesn't have convenient 12 volt outlets, so it was rather timely...kind of doubt we end up with the little speed demon, but I am hopeful.

Since you are in the Northwest of Denve, and I am due south, maybe we could do the meet up at Bear Creek?  Only problem is that we aren't supposed to apply in direct sunlight...and its usually windy as heck there.

TCR1 said:
Maybe we should shoot for an early-April GTG and do the Refinish Restorer treatment.  I don't know that the peeps without the tupperware would do, but surely they could find something. 

I saw the "mod" where the guy added a palstic rubbermaid drawer under his back seats.  That one may need to get done...I also am curious about 12 volt plugs in my center console...My wife and I are looking at a little sportscar that doesn't have convenient 12 volt outlets, so it was rather timely...kind of doubt we end up with the little speed demon, but I am hopeful.

Since you are in the Northwest of Denve, and I am due south, maybe we could do the meet up at Bear Creek?  Only problem is that we aren't supposed to apply in direct sunlight...and its usually windy as heck there.

There are plenty of parks with shade between here and there, we'll find a place. Lets see if we can rally some of the troops.

plumbob

JKust another follow up on this and additional news...
looks like Refinish Restorer is going to have to be an internet purchase. 

If others need body color aerosol cans Allen paint can do it. 

The women I spoke to said that the smallest amount they could mix of my color (W805K) is 0.5 pint.  That is enough for two spray cans.  To put it into a can costs 8.95. 

They also have two clear coat options.  a catalyzed and non-catalyzed.

With the weather not being great right now, I am going to hold off getting paint, but think I may pick some up before the "detailing" GTG (if there is one).

I would feel a lot beter pulling the power bar with someone else there :help:

I Put two coats on the Black Pearl in Las Vegas. Now there we got sun trust me. It held up great and now here in Salt Lake with road salt, snow and all that you can toss at it I think it is the most awesome stuff. The panels and sails stay great. I have a second can and do plan on giving him another coat. I have enough from the first can for that .
I can not sing the praises of this stuff enough.

Aussie Red said:
I Put two coats on the Black Pearl in Las Vegas. Now there we got sun trust me. It held up great and now here in Salt Lake with road salt, snow and all that you can toss at it I think it is the most awesome stuff. The panels and sails stay great. I have a second can and do plan on giving him another coat. I have enough from the first can for that .
I can not sing the praises of this stuff enough.

So in your opinion, one can will do the truck twice?  :wave:

plumbob

plumbob said:
So in your opinion, one can will do the truck twice?  :wave:

plumbob

I read it as it looks like 1 bottle will do the truck at least 3 times as the initial application was two coats.  Maybe even 4 times.  This jives with what I was understanding in the Refinish Restorer thread.  I'm almost thinking that we could get 4 guys together and get 2 bottles of the stuff and be good to go.

On a side note, I spoke to Nick at "Detailers Paradise" and he recommended some other products as well.  Offered to let me stop by and try them.  One he says would last at least 6 months and that a pea sized drop of it would probably cover an entire cladded avalanche.

I found this on a google thing as well:

"hit up Lowe's or Home Depot. Get a pint of "boiled linseed oil" and a pint of paint thinner. Get home, mix them 60:40 (thinner:linseed), stir. then while wearing gloves, dap, dip or squirt the mix onto a clean, lint free towel or a wax/foam pad and then just wipe it all over the plastic parts as if it were tire shine. this is my own personal trick from 15+ yrs in the automotive industry and being a paint chemist."

I'm not sure how permanent that would be.

TCR1 said:
I read it as it looks like 1 bottle will do the truck at least 3 times as the initial application was two coats.  Maybe even 4 times.  This jives with what I was understanding in the Refinish Restorer thread.  I'm almost thinking that we could get 4 guys together and get 2 bottles of the stuff and be good to go.

On a side note, I spoke to Nick at "Detailers Paradise" and he recommended some other products as well.  Offered to let me stop by and try them.  One he says would last at least 6 months and that a pea sized drop of it would probably cover an entire cladded avalanche.

I found this on a google thing as well:

"hit up Lowe's or Home Depot. Get a pint of "boiled linseed oil" and a pint of paint thinner. Get home, mix them 60:40 (thinner:linseed), stir. then while wearing gloves, dap, dip or squirt the mix onto a clean, lint free towel or a wax/foam pad and then just wipe it all over the plastic parts as if it were tire shine. this is my own personal trick from 15+ yrs in the automotive industry and being a paint chemist."

I'm not sure how permanent that would be.

I think I'll let someone else be the "guinea pig". If there is extra I don't mind keeping it my garage. There are alot of other "home brew" suggestions, but I'll stick with a professional product.

plumbob

:laugh: Remember Plumbob I am nekid lol. Fact is I put it quite liberally on the pearl and two coats then Hubby did the plastic on the Silverado and the inside of the bed (liner and bed caps and still we had half a can. I ordered yet another as a back up in case they went out of business. One never knows. So far I have had it in temps of over 110 and that is just outside not saying how hot the panels got and then here which I am sure you know is ugly cold. Holding up great and really has the snow sliding right off too. I personally love this stuff and if I can put it on myself and get it right trust me it is easy.

plumbob said:
I think I'll let someone else be the "guinea pig". If there is extra I don't mind keeping it my garage. There are alot of other "home brew" suggestions, but I'll stick with a professional product.

plumbob

But he is a paint chemist and has 15+ years in the auto industry :D :D

I'm with you.  Thought it sounded odd and wanted to share. (y)

I ordered a bottle today.  hope to have it this weekend as the weather looks like it will be quite nice for the next 10 days.  I will hopefully have a chance to get it on before the 28th.  Should I leave a bed cover panel untreated for people to see the difference at the Rockyard GTG?

I began mapping out the wire cover for the hidden compartment in the console.  It is a little more difficult than I thought due to the many small measurement changes.  Hope to have at least a cardboard model before then though.

So should I leave a panel untreated if I have a chance to treat the truck?

I've been a little busy with a new job but I just ordered mine. Wheather should be a little crappy for the next couple days but lets try setting up a date for this. 

plumbob

I have been using Meguiars Professional Vinyl & Rubber Cleaner/Conditioner off the Mirror Glaze line years I used to work at a car wash/detail center and that is the stuff we used on dashes and interior plastics and on exterior plastics I use it on my tires, under the hood, on hoses and plastic covers works great and lasts several months streaks the first time it gets wet but makes it look great makes every thing look new not glossed up and over shinny.  Napa just started carrying it which is a good thing since my stash had just ran out lasted me 4 years but the Avalanche takes a lot, its only $10 for 16 ounces  Had a guy that lives around the corner from me stop and ask what it is I use cause he notices my Avalanche looks way better than his.

I'm interested to try this refinish restorer I'm going to look for some tomorrow down here in the springs if the weather isn't too bad there are a few places I think may have it if.  I don't really want to order it with out seeing it in action, I want to start detailing again as a weekend thing so I'm collecting products and materials will use this stuff if it really works.

I look around in a few places I figured would have it and didnt find it. If you do find it, let me know where if you dont mind. Also, let me know, I may let you detail my truck when I get lazy.

Chadstr

I need to get some body work supplies for one of my other projects and will be checking to see if they have it there.  My guess is that they will not have the exact brand, but possibly a 3M product.  I must say though, the linseed oil/thinner combo sounds like it may be in the right ballpark, but I would like to see "what's inside" before making any factual statements.  More to come....
--Mike

Mike G said:
I need to get some body work supplies for one of my other projects and will be checking to see if they have it there.  My guess is that they will not have the exact brand, but possibly a 3M product.   I must say though, the linseed oil/thinner combo sounds like it may be in the right ballpark, but I would like to see "what's inside" before making any factual statements.  More to come....
--Mike

Mike I ordered the Refinish Restorer from Ditchek and Sons and have treated my cladding.  It looks very good IMO and most people that have seen it.  I posted some pictures on the Colorado groups forums.

If you are doing any graphic removal, I got what I thought was a decent price on the 3M Stripe removal wheel from Fastenal.

Here are a couple more:

Attachments

• Finished Refinish Restorer Panels.JPG
    Finished Refinish Restorer Panels.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Process Refinish Restorer panel.JPG
    Process Refinish Restorer panel.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 75
  • Finished Refinish Restorer sail and panels.JPG
    Finished Refinish Restorer sail and panels.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Before Refinish Restorer sail.JPG
    Before Refinish Restorer sail.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 75
TCR1,
Your cladding looks great after the treatment how did you end up preparing the plastic?

I never got the chance to go look for the refinish restorer yesterday spent most of the day playing rescue my friends out if the snow some time next week I try to hunt some down

Back