• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

trans fluid leaking & Transfer case vent hose?

richmnj

HELP... My 2002 Z-71 Ava has 72k miles, never had the transfer case serviced but had the transmission replaced at 63k. I noticed oil on the front drivers side rim and wheel well...I thought it was a brake line until I removed the rim and traced it to a hose (vent) under the hood on the drivers side between the battery and the fuse box. The hose has a "breather" type cap on the end and is attached to some wires. (I assume these wires are for the electronic transfer case control) and appear to go to the transfer case. I cleaned up the oil and drove back and forth to work the next day (about half hr. each way on the highway) when I came home I have a small amount of oil coming from this breather again. (I have not added any transmission fluid to the truck and the Chevy dealer was the last one to work on the truck 10000 miles ago....What now? Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks

By the way... This happened in 2 wheel drive. I have not had the truck in 4 wheel drive since last winter. I am now afraid to try.

Take it to a garage and have it looked at

There is nothing that a person on the internet can do for you at this point.

My only thought is that I am wondering if the outboard seal on the front axle is leaking.  That is a common problem that usually splashes around some oil.

I wouldn't drive it until you find out what the problem is.

I had my transmission replaced on my 2002 Ava z-71 at 65000 at the Chevy dealer...now have 74000 miles and noticed transmission fluid coming from the transfer case vent hose...My question: Does anybody think this will be covered by GM? Should the dealer have replaced this seal? I believe it is the transfer case input shaft seal that is letting transmission fluid get into the transfer case and weeping out through the vent hose.

If you do not believe it will be a covered repair...how about a guess-timate on the repair cost???

This sounds like the same post, over and over again.

Take it to a garage and have it diagnosed and repaired.

Whining on here isn't going to get it fixed.

It could be a number of things, but trying to blame the garage for something - before it ever was even torn apart - isn't the answer.

My transmission was in and out of my Avalanche 4 TIMES one winter and each time it developed a different problem.  Never did it blow oil out of the transfer case breather hose.

As a matter of fact, one time the clip came off the line and blew the line off and in 1 mile the transmission was burned up.  Round trip to and from the transmission shop was less than 20 miles!

Talk about a depressed mechanic, he was fit to be tied!

Monte Carlo Man said:
This sounds like the same post, over and over again.

Take it to a garage and have it diagnosed and repaired.

Whining on here isn't going to get it fixed.

It could be a number of things, but trying to blame the garage for something - before it ever was even torn apart - isn't the answer.

My transmission was in and out of my Avalanche 4 TIMES one winter and each time it developed a different problem.  Never did it blow oil out of the transfer case breather hose.

As a matter of fact, one time the clip came off the line and blew the line off and in 1 mile the transmission was burned up.  Round trip to and from the transmission shop was less than 20 miles!

Talk about a depressed mechanic, he was fit to be tied!

What sounds like the same thing over and over again is your lack of a useful, cordial response.  Seems every post of yours tells people that they shouldn't even be on the internet, they should reside in a service bay exclusively.

I'm not alone in thinking perhaps YOU should follow that advice rather than continue to give it.

I'd also suggest you open a dictionary (I'd suggest dictionary.,com, but apparently nothing can be learned on the internet) and truly look up "whining", as his post had none of it present.

Thank you Doug, for a second I felt like I was "out of place" just asking a question.

...and Monte Carlo Man...THANKS FOR NOTHING (over and over again) :beating:

Monte Carlo Man said:
Take it to a garage and have it looked at

There is nothing that a person on the internet can do for you at this point....
Are you kidding....you mean except share there experience w/ him and discribe that they had the very same problem and did figure out the problem and give him the solution and assure him he has nothing to worry about.

I'm sorry to say, I am not that person, but, you came to the right place.  I hope you get the help you need (and I hope it comes from a person on the internet, it most likely will).
Good luck!

BTW, I have removed my Transfer case, and I don't recall a breather tube.  Of course, mine is an '03 and this was about 3 years ago.

Hey rich are you sure it is transmission fluid ??? Is your transmission fluid level low. Did the dealer give you a warranty on the transmission. 

I'm ashamed to say I have not yet checked the trans fluid (I have not driven the truck since)... although it does "smell" like it. I am sure it's coming from the vent tube. And yes the trans came with a warranty, I just want to have some education with me when I go to Chevy dealer. (so they don't rip me off)

Thanks.

OH, OH...i almost forgot....if it is transfer case fluid....it will be blue...and not just a faint "maybe that looks kinda blue" blue...it is real blue.
Sorry i forgot about that...good luck!

The transfer case fluid that came out of my transfer case was green and not blue.

There was that movie with Chris Farley, where he had to sell a bunch of brake pads to keep his dads company going.

There was the little sales pitch about sticking your head up a cows butt to see what the steaks look like, or you can ask a butcher.

Big Black Av's post reminds me of that joke.

There was a guy that sold Taxi Cabs as new cars in Punxsutawney Pennsylvania during WWII, due to the fact that you couldn't buy a new car.  These cars had more than 100,000 miles on them and were as little as 2 years old.

The guy that sold them was called Yum Yum Pifer.

Yum Yum would tell my family about trading cars,  "I buy Yunk and I sell Yunk, but I don't trade Yunk for Yunk!"

His other famous saying - when asked how is the motor?,  he would say, "You can see in it as far as I can!"

Well it is definitly not blue or green...It appears to look like trans or even brake fluid. I checked the level in the trans and it is where it needs to be, the brake fluid looks a little low. Am I correct in that the hose I am speaking of is really the vent for the transfer case and not a vent for the transmission or some sort of ovrerflow for the brake fluid?????

That's what I thought sometimes when fluids leaks it runs down to other places.

You may have a leak in the master cylinder, or the cap.

Make sure the cap on the master cylinder is not leaking

combined the two threads...

hopefully it will help all those who read and are trying to help out...

good luck

Richmnj, not sure if you are still around but I am having the exact same issue as you. Any info to share about the resolution to you problem before I bring mine in to get looked at? Anyone else: any thoughts? (Sorry for dragging an old thread back from the dead)

Back