• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Statement On Happy Camp, CA Firetruck Accident

Chief

CAFCNA FOUNDER
Charter Member
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
You probably heard in the news about the three fire fighters killed in an accident outside of Happy Camp, California. News reports explain how the fire truck rolled down a ravine and decsribed the roads in the area as dangerous.

The news reports are correct that the forest service roads inside the Klamath are narrow, twisting, and dangerous in places. However people going to Wild West 2002 will not be traveling on any of these forest service roads.

The Big Foot Scenic Byway is a two-lane alternate highway with speed limits of 20 to 70 MPH. There are some sharp turns along the way but even the Miata Club of California considers this one of the best stretches of asphalt in the United States.

I'm deeply saddened by the accident that took three lives but I want to assure everyone going on Wild West we will not be in the same area these firemen and women had their accident.

I am monitoring the fire season, which is pretty active in the Pacific Northwest this year. The fire outside of Happy Camp should long be extinguished before we arrive. In the event that Highway 96 is not safe, alternative routes have already been planned to Eureka.

If you have any concerns please feel free to e-mail me.

Back