• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Wild West 2002 - August 23 To August 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief

CAFCNA FOUNDER
Charter Member
SM 2008
SM 2007
SM 2006
SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Join your fellow Avalanche and Cadillac EXT owners from August 23rd to 26th for a summer event you?ll never forget. From the spectacular deep blue of Crater Lake to the striking black desolation of Lava Beds National Monument to the cool majesty of Redwood National Park. The only thing you need to attend is a Chevrolet Avalanche or Cadillac Escalade EXT and some free time.

We start at Crater Lake National Park in southern Oregon. One of the crown jewels of the National Park System, Crater Lake National Park is celebrating its 100th year. Come join us at Mazama Village at the recently renovated campground or if roughing it isn't your style spend the night at the Mazama Village Inn. Spend the day with "Chief" as he acts as your tour guide at this incredible park.

From Crater Lake we head south to the Tule Lake National Wildlife Refuge and Lava Beds National Park. Some light off-road driving (2-wheel drive is fine, just need the ground clearance) before we explore the lava flows and lava tube caves, including Skull Cave with it's permanent ice floor. Caving experience is NOT required but a sense of adventure is! From Lava Beds we head east through the Klamath National Forest to Medicine Lake and then on to Yreka, California. "Chief" once again serves as your experienced guide in this park that stands out in sharp contrast to Crater Lake less than two-hours away.

Wake up in the morning for a day of cruising and fun in the Klamath and Six Rivers National Forest. Four-wheel drive owners have the option of driving over the Coastal Range of California instead of around it. Games, prizes, and stops along the way of this 275 mile trek to Eureka, California to spend the night at the Eureka KOA. Kamping Kabins are available and hotel accommodations are near by.

Spend the last day exploring Redwood National Park and visiting the rugged California Coast and the fabled redwoods. Enjoy a picnic along the ocean and then get together one last time in Eureka for a farewell dinner for all.

There will be plenty of fun and surprises along the way and the more that attend, the better things can get. Registration gets you an exclusive commemorative CAFCNA t-shirt, a Windows screen saver and photo CD of the entire cruise, and a National Parks Pass. If you can't make the entire cruise then join us just for a day or two.

If you don't know about Wild West 2002, you can click here.

Feel free to discuss Wild West 2002 and check for late breaking updates!

Hey Chief,

Can we fly to Oregon and borrow an Av? I'd just as soon not put the extra 4000 miles on the truck to get there and back, plus the cruise miles.

It sounds like you have quite a trip in the works. I'm jealous. :cry:

kps:

I've thought about this. I'm thinking that if there were some volunteer Av owners with extra room in their Av's I think that would be a real possibility.

I'm not aware of any rental agency that is offering them - but you could check National and Avis. Medford, Oregon is the closest major airport. You'll have more luck in Portland but man - that's like a five hour drive to Crater Lake.

My Av is going to be full with promotional stuff and family so I can't help out.

BTW - we have zero registrations :cry: although I know folks need to look at calendars and see if they can go - I also know that any snail mail registrations wouldn't have shown up yet. If I don't have at least ten confirmed for the full trip (or if there are ten at all points along the way through various combinations) I'm going to pull the plug on the adventure.

I figure with the very short notice on 2002 it's a long shot at best, but hey, it's worth a try!

Chief,

I am checking with the wife to see if she would like to do this. I know I would.

;D

my wife said go for it so i guess you have one mybe i well have a new instrument cluster with 0 miles :)

I sent a link to the cruise to the GF - she saw the word cruise and thought we were going to get together as a group on a boat :B:

I am still thinking about if I want to make the drive from CO... that is a lot of driving in just a few days.

Chief,

The GF and I are up for the trip. Just checking on time off...

Not a whole lot of replies shown on the site - do you have much of an indication of how many others might be interested, or is it too early to tell?

:cool:

I'm interested in attending. I'm just waiting for my wife to return from overseas this week to see if she's interested in coming along for the ride. If not, I think I'll see if a buddy wants to come along.

Don't panic, Chief, it's still early.

Hey folks - I've seen a lot of posts from people thinking about Wild West but still no registers to go to Wild West.

Here is the problem. Without at least a handful of registrations I really can't go around trying to get freebies from the General and others, reserve blocks of rooms, get discounts, try to set up some dealer support along the route etc.

If you're going to go please get signed up so I can start getting a head count. I'm not going to pull the plug unless we have under 10 as of July 30, 2002 - HOWEVER the earlier folks sign up the easier it is for me to plan and try to add things to make the trip even more fun.

NEXT POINT:

If there are Avalanche owners that would be interested in picking up fellow owners who want to fly in because they can't drive (say from the east coast) please post here. It would be great if we could set up some driver exchange or sharing arrangement (I mean come on - the Av does seat five in comfort). Sadly I can't as I'll be loaded down with Cruise support stuff and four on board.

Well - that's all for now - let everyone know...

I'm still interested in going. I told a friend about it and asked if he can go. The only thing is that he has a new Tacoma he wants to break in.

Hooray! Our first registered member!

OK Chief, sign me up! I've convinced the wife this meet would be a good way to spend our 25th Anniversary (not so hard, I'll explain how I did it in a posting).

I will forward a money order tomorrow. Question: is the parks pass pricing applicable to Canadian citizens, or is there a surcharge? Let me know and I'll send you the difference.

Make sure to put us down for the 4 x4 options.

Wow Chaseman 25th Anniversary Congrats. Hope u and ur wife have a happy anniversary. How long do u figure it will take you to drive there from the Alberta Capital?

Thanks, Leather.
Streets and Trips has it pegged at 10 days driving total, with planned stops in Fernie, Fennewick, the meet, and then up the coastal highway to Vancouver with three stops on the way home.
Have wanted to do this trip for years. And the meet gives me a good excuse!

Good news! I've finally had a chance to update the registration page for Wild West 2002. If you already own a National Park Pass you can now register for $75 for the four days. That gets you everything full registration gets except for the Park Pass. So if you've been waiting to register because you've e-mailed me and asked that I add this - well I have.

To answer the earlier question - nope the pass is $50 US whether you're from the states or not. It's a darn good deal as it is good for a year and valid at all National Parks and many National Forest, Recreation Areas, etc. etc. etc.

We've got five now - 1/2 way to the minimum!

;D

Hey Chief! You are one TERRIFIC planner! :eek:

I'll chat with my GF tonight and will let you know by tomorrow. Since I live in Central Oregon, I'm 90% certain I WILL go.

If my GF decides against it, I guess I'll have space for 1-3 females between the ages of 31 and 48... LOL.

I'll let you know by tomorrow! :B:

OK, I bite AVYNUT. What's a GF?

And I'll be passing by you on the way down, so if you find you have more than 3 or 4 gals wanting to go I have room and only one tent.

I hope the "G" stands for girl and not something like goat :eek:

goo929 said:
I hope the "G" stands for girl and not something like goat ?:eek:
"G" only stands for goat when used in the context of initiation rites. >:D

OOOh, I opened a can of worms with that one. Goo, you'll have to tell us more about what initiation rights you're talking about, and why would you bring a goat on the Wild West? Chief actually recommends that you don't bring your pet, but does your GF count as one?

Girl Friend - of course. I'm getting slow in my old age.

Chasman,

This is some of the latest intelligence I have on the week-long "Deity" initiations ...

"You don't want to hear what I heard you have to do to reach Spork's and XRover's status. I know it required using the CAFCNA's boxer shorts and Baby Doll T-Shirt"

"as for the initiation, what the heck was that noise I just heard ?? - it sounded like farm animals!"

"uh oh, and is that Yankees in there holding the paddle?"

"OK gandolphxx, I've got the blender, handcuffs, power drill, and the peanut butter sandwiches - is the hazing, err, initiation area prepared for another victim, errrr I mean member! "

"Now, where did I leave those logging chains... they are essential for the initiation."

"You should be fasting for the "Deitification" rites"

"I know that Spork barely made it through the Babydoll t-shirt torturing."

"I suggest that you prepare for the initiation rites, third tuesday of the month."

"Thats great folks, keep posting, once we rent the survival camp for the initiation, numbers just help reduce the cost"

"Well, its time for the Chief, NJAV and I to get out the initiation stuff again - guess we should wash and sterilize it for this batch"

"I think there are enough initiates now that the Global Moderators will be able to get a volume discount on the wesson oil and visqene for the ceremony"

"You misunderstood, thats where the initiators go (Hooters) while you completing the "rites", you probably won't want to eat afterwards"

Has me thinking about going and deleting a couple hundred of my old POSTS :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back