• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Oregon Coast Cruise II~Feb '03~Pictures Start Pg 7

AvaLance

SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Ok Chief has ask me to help him plan this cruise so here is the plan

Feb. 15,2003
9:00am Meet at Astoria Column
9:30am Cruise to Seaside, OR on HWY 101 ETA 9:55am
-Cruise Promenade Street, Park and tour the area
10:55am Cruise to Tillamook, OR on HWY 101 ETA 12:00noon
-Eat lunch at Tillamook Cheese factory cafe
-Tour Tillamook Cheese factory
1:30pm Cruise to Lincoln City, OR on HWY 101 ETA 2:30pm
-Opt. Outlet Mall
-Opt. Beach fun at D river Rec. site
-Stop at Boiler Bay for photos
4:30 Cruise to New Port, OR on HWY 101 ETA 5:10pm
-Check in at Shilo Inn
-Free time tell 6:00pm
6:00pm Meet at Shilo Lobby to go to the Shilo Restarant for dinner
8:00pm Meet at AvaLance's Room for GTG to talk about AV's or what ever

Feb. 16,2003
9:00am Meet at Chevron Station on HWY 101 for Gas ect.
9:30am Cruise to Florence, OR to the Sportsman Store for Flags, ATV permits, Ect..
TBAam Cruise to The Oregon Dunes For beach driving remember you will need 4WD for this part if there is any one who whats to go but does not want there AV on the sand they could ride with me. (I should have room in my AV)
12:00noon Cruise some were for lunch
1:00pm back to the dunes if there is interest

Let me know what every one thinks for this cruise

Is this essentially the same itinerary you used before? There's a chance I might make this one..

BTW, I'd probably head home after lunch on Sunday; I figure others will as well--especially the "far away" folks (unless they get Monday off...).

Brendan

BRMiller yes this is almost the same cruise I did earlyer but the 2nd day is all off-roading and I allowed more time at the cheese factory and the mall in Lincoln city just because on the last cruise people wanted more time at those places

Skip the cheese factory and the mall--let's get to the off-roading on Saturday! ;D

Brendan

Well the Cheese factory and the shoping were very big on my last cruise and this is what Chief wanted a carbon copy of my 1st cruise on day one BRMiller trust me you will have fun and don't worry we will get off-roading (y)

AvaLance said:
Well the Cheese factory and the shoping were very big on my last cruise and this is what Chief wanted a carbon copy of my 1st cruise on day one BRMiller trust me you will have fun and don't worry we will get off-roading (y)

I'll confess I was pretty darn amazed on just how big the shopping mall was. It seemed everyone had at least one bag in their hand. Hey - I got some great deals at Harry & David!

AvaLance said:

Yeah, yeah, I know--I was just giving you (and Chief) a hard time. Since we live within spitting distances to both Lincoln City and Tillamook, we've been to both those destinations dozens of times. I really don't find anything (or any reason to shop) at the "outlets" at LC. Don't let me spoil your party though--I'm sure there will be good times for all. I'm just trying to schedule, and at this point, I don't know if I'll be able to hang out thru Sunday...

Brendan

Geez... I just re-read the schedule. 9am meet at Astoria. And 2.5 hours from Salem. One early morning if I decide to join you...

Brendan

brmiller said:
Geez... ?I just re-read the schedule. ?9am meet at Astoria. ?And 2.5 hours from Salem. ?One early morning if I decide to join you...

Brendan

It is V-weekend so going for the whole time is out. We may Join up out at the Cheese Factory and run down to the Mall.

ACK! If turn out becomes light I'll pull the plug on this and we'll shoot for April. V-D day don't mean much to me this year...

I'll be sending out an e-mail on this event tonight. I would ask that Northern California members consider showing up for a Saturday meet in Newport, Oregon for dinner and then a day of just incredible off-roading at the Oregon Dunes. We had a good chance to scout out much of the area back in November and found several incredible places to go play, and some not so incredible could get yourself stuck if you're not careful places to go play.

It will be a great event and right now it appears that the area will be pretty quiet despite being the V-D weekend. Hotels are wide open. Remember - the kids have Monday off from school! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just in case it wasn't clear (I have a tendency to be that way), I'm in. Early morning or not--I plan to be there. Please don't cancel. Come on, NW AVers... Looking forward to this.

Brendan

brmiller said:
Just in case it wasn't clear (I have a tendency to be that way), I'm in. ?Early morning or not--I plan to be there. ?Please don't cancel. ?Come on, NW AVers... ?Looking forward to this.

Brendan

COOL! The off-roading out by Florence on the beach is world class. The great thing about driving on the sand is if the weather is bad it actually makes things easier - and the creek hoping should be awesome. Just stay out of deep bowls - so glad I chickened out at the last second and skirted this small pond - I think my Avalanche would still be at the bottom of it otherwise! :eek:

Great I can't wait I am really exicted for this cruise to happen I loved driving on the dunes (for the most part) Chief is righ there are some fun spots and some spot where you can get stuck all in all it was a good time. Chief I am going to call some of the AV owners here to tell them about the club and to see if they would like to come down to the beach with us (y)

Lance:

Is there an opportunity this weekend at teh auto show to recruit more beach weekenders?

Brendan

Here is the e-mail I sent out. ;D

Hey everyone! The Seattle, Portland, and La Grande clubs are sponsoring a two day cruise over the President's Day weekend. The kids are out of school on the 17th of February and most government offices are closed. If you're looking for an excuse to get away this meet offers it all. The scenic wonder of the Oregon Coast, an ideal beach side hotel if you like in Newport, Oregon for Saturday night and a day of off-roading fun. If you're in northern California consider joining up with us on Saturday in Newport, Oregon for dinner and then a day of off-roading fun on Sunday. If you're coming from the north consider joining us in Astoria and returning from Newport on Sunday morning. This is almost a complete repeat of a cruise hosted by the La Grande Chapter in November of 2002 and we had members do both back then.

Here is the schedule:

Saturday, February 15, 2003:

9:00 AM Meet at the Astoria Column in Astoria, Oregon for drivers meeting
9:30 AM Cruise to Seaside, Oregon on Highway 101
9:55 AM Take an hour to walk around Promenade Street, do some optional shopping and enjoy the beach
10:55 AM Cruise to the Tillamook, Oregon to visit the Tillamook Cheese Factory Cafe
12:00 Noon Eat lunch and tour the cheese factory (self guided tour)
1:30 PM Cruise to Lincoln City, Oregon for beach fun and shopping
4:30 PM Cruise to Newport, Oregon with a 5:10 PM
6:30 PM Dinner at a location to be determined

Recommended Hotels - right on the ocean with private beach access:

Shilo Inn Hotel - Newport
536 SW Elizabeth
Newport, Oregon
97365-7701
Hotel: (541) 265-7701
Restaurant: (541) 265-2449
Cafe: (541) 265-2562
Reservations: (800) 222-2244

On a budget? Quarter mile from the Aquarium with a view of the ocean:

Econo Lodge - Newport
606 SW Coast Hwy 101
Newport, OR 97365 US
Phone: (541) 265-7723
Reservation: 1-800-553-2666

Sunday, February 16, 2003:

9:00 AM Meet at Chevron Station on Highway 101 in Newport for fuel, supplies and driver's meeting
9:30 AM Cruise to Florence, Oregon to the Sportsman Store for beach permits and any needed safety gear
10:15 AM Cruise to Oregon Dunes National Seashore for off-roading. 4WD is REQUIRED for this part of the trip.
12:00 PM Break for lunch out on the dunes weather permitting, or at a local establishment
1:30 PM Return to the dunes for more off-roading fun

If you plan to go off-roading in the Oregon Dunes National Recreation Area the following safety equipment is REQUIRED by Oregon State Law:
State of Oregon ATV Pass - good for two years - this can be purchased in Florence, Oregon
Northwest Forest Pass - good for one day - $5 - this can be purchased in Florence, Oregon
Safety flag, displayed at least nine feet in the air - this can be purchased from $5 to $10 in Florence, Oregon
Fire extinguisher (I know, sand, February, damp, cold, but it's the law). You are better off buying one BEFORE getting to Oregon - they were $26 in Florence and you can find a basic ABC extinguisher at Home Depot for under $10
It is also strongly recommended to bring:
Tow strap
Shovel
Cribbing (planks of wood to put under a tire if you're stuck in the sand
FRS Radio
Portable air compressor (for reinflating your tires if you air down for better traction)
http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/siuslaw/oregondunes/

If you haven't been off-roading before David "Chief" Obelcz will be giving a beach driving clinic on how to get around on Sunday morning. The dunes are generally an easy place to drive representing Class II and III trails. We will be staying mainly in the easier areas but can venture into some softer terrain if you're feeling brave. As long as you stay above the high tide line there is almost no risk of damage to your vehicle.

If you're going to attend all or a portion of this meet please RSVP by replying to this e-mail. This is a family oriented trip and most significant others will appreciate some quiet time on Saturday listening to the pounding surf with the ocean just outside your window. There will be prizes and surprises - and if you became a supporting member a fair chance that your free gift, membership card and first issue of the Avalanche Zone can be HAND DELIVERED. OK, enough sales pitch. Who is coming!

I sure hope it's more than Lance and myself going! ;D

Chief said:
I sure hope it's more than Lance and myself going! ;D
What part of "I'm in" did you miss? :) But yeah, so far it's been mostly us three on this thread.

Brendan

Chief,

I'll check with the misses but we are in Penny pinching mode right now. So I make no guarantees.

Michael

per mapquest

Total Distance: 600.02 miles Total Estimated Time: 10 hours, 13 minutes

Didn't spend that much time driving to Crater Lake.

Based upon that I can almost tell you the Wife will not go for it. :cautious:

Ten hours to Astoria or Newport? I have a hard time believing it's 10 hours to Newport from San Fran. You can drive San Fran to Seattle in about 12 hours. >:D :2:

Well OK, you do have a lift and those big tires. :rolleyes:

Believe me I understand if you can't go. I remember you jumping in on the other thread. I know that you would absolutely love this place. To bad Eddie rolled his Av - I also think this is a place he would love. With the lift and those/rims tires you have a major advantage on the sand. (y)

Anyway - Nationals are far more important!

flynhigh said:
Chief,

That was from Livermore CA to Florence OR. ? :cry:

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...

That's different.

Never mind.

Chief said:
ACK! ?If turn out becomes light I'll pull the plug on this and we'll shoot for April. ?V-D day don't mean much to me this year...

Sorry to interrupt the topic....but I have to second this post! ?;)

Hadn't meant much to me in a looooooooooong time ?:2:

Kim

(BTW, the Daytona 500 is the 16th! WOOHOO!! ;D )

Kim is a member of the lonely hearts club too I see. ;D

Sorry about the senor Miller - yes there are three, count them, three of us going at this time.

WHO ELSE DARN IT! E-mailed over 100 people last night and not a single reply. :eek:

YIKES!

Back