• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

June 14, 2003~Eastern Oregon Cruise~

AvaLance

SM 2005
SM 2004
SM 2003
Well I don't have all the details now but I will tell you this, It is going to be fun, There is going to be some fishing, there is going to be some off-roading, there is going to be some touring, and there will be somthing that you can't just do any where that is the Drive in theater La Grande has one of the last 5 in Oregon and after a day of cruise we will cruise over to the drive in set up the AV's and watch a movie. ?So what do you guys think. ?Again I will have more details as the date gets closer.

See my last post on this page for cruise plans

Sounds Kewl, Lance. If at all possible I'll be there!

I just got back from the Drive-In theater and this is a must do item on my cruise I pull up and back up the AV I start to take the cargo covers off and people start to watch then I remove the rear window and fold down the mid-gate and people are like " wow that is cool I wish my truck did that" then I sat back against the rear seats and watched the movie. I can just see it now all of these AV showing up ;D

Ok I have started Planning for this cruise this is going to be the 1st Eastern Oregon Cruise. Here is what I have planned so far

Saturday June 14, 2003
9:00 a.m. - Meet at M.J. Goss Motors, 1415 Adams Ave, downtown La Grande to check out what ever AV's we have in.
9:30 a.m. - Cruise to Oregon Trail Interpritive Center out side of Baker City Via I-84
12:00 Noon- Eat Lunch in Baker City
1:00 p.m. - Cruise to North Powder Turn off to cruise to Union, OR
?:?? - Tour Cowboy museum
3:30 p.m. - Cruise to Morgan Lake out side of La Grande this will include some minor off-roading we will fish, Take some pics, and have some fun on the lake
6:00 p.m. - have CAFCNA BBQ at Morgan Lake
7:45 p.m. - Cruise to Drive-In theater for movie funn in the AV

Optional Day 2 Cruise
10:00 a.m. - Late meet being that the movies will not get done tell 12:00 mid-night. Meet at M.J. Goss Motors
10:30 - Cruise to Wallow County for fishing, ect..
?:?? - Eat Lunch along the way
- Tour historic down town Joseph, OR
- Cruise to Wallowa Lake for Fishing and other water activitys
- Camp at the Wallowa Lake Camp Ground
- Have dinner and have camp fire and chat about whatever later that night.

So what do you guys think? who is coming? I really hope for this cruise to work out being this is my 1st cruise in my area. We have lots of neat places here on the east side of the state.

Attending
AvaLance (1)

Maybe Attending
Kcfunke (2)
SteelHeadChaser (1)
Very Very maybe
AvaLancedad (2) In his Chevy Venture Van AWD he said if he is free he will be the tail end of the group in his Van or he might see if the dealership I work for will let him use the WBH AV we have in down there.

NW_Nick (?)

Ok folks here is the sich we are about 3 weeks away from the cruise I would like to know how many will be coming on the 2nd day and how many will be camping at Wallowa Lake on the 2nd day The state park tends to fill up fast so I was going to get some sites saved. So I look forward to see all of you this will be my 1st Chapters cruise I plan for this cruise to be a fun filled cruise. See ya all in La Grande on June 14th

I went up on a scouting trip today and I found Museum that is ASOME we will be going there on the 2nd day and better yet the owners son owns a 2003 Black Avalanche Z71!!!! The owners does bronze sculptures his name is David Manuel I even got to meet him

here is a pic of my AV and wallowa Lake

Attachments

• wallowalakeav2.JPG
    wallowalakeav2.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 1
Steelhead this pic is for you if you look down in the valley you can see the Wallowa River where you can catch Steel Head

Attachments

• hwy82.JPG
    hwy82.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 1
Lance, your right. David Manuel's museum is very interesting. He grew up in SW Washington and has quite a few Nez Perce artifacts that he found while growing up. He is the artist that crafted the Oregon Trail Centennial statue of the pioneer family a few years back. It consisted of a man, his wife and son looking out at the road in front of them. It caused a bit of an uproar when it was unveiled. The problems? The man was holding a rifle, the adults were wearing wedding rings, the child was a boy, and of course they were white. Not wanting to offend anyone, the unveiling of the statue was put on hold. I'm not sure what the final outcome was. A smaller edition was in front of the museum the last time I was there. I was very lucky to have found and bought one of his early bronzes at an estate auction several years back. Manuel takes great pains to insure that his Nez Perce inspired sculptures are authentic as to the style of clothes and items present. His works are purchased by collectors all over the world. When I was there in '95, he had many bronzes available for sale, priced between $2,000-$30,000. The town of Joseph is a bit of an artist's colony and is home to many painters and sculpters. When I was there last there weres two foundries specializing in lost-wax bronze casting. Tours of one the foundries were available. It is a very interesting process. The folks doing the casting and assembly are truly artists in their own right.

bingo I took the tour and I am planing on stoping there on this cruise. and I talk to Lee's Son for allmost an hour about the club mods ect.... he has just got his AV and put a billit grill on it all ready

on the tour I got to meet his wife Lee and him self as he worked on his lastest project Lewis and clark a very cool idea

Was he working on a commissioned piece? 2004 is the bi-centennial of the Lewis and Clark expedition.

Steelheadchaser said:
Lance, your right. David Manuel's museum is very interesting. He grew up in SW Washington and has quite a few Nez Perce artifacts that he found while growing up. He is the artist that crafted the Oregon Trail Centennial statue of the pioneer family a few years back. It consisted of a man, his wife and son looking out at the road in front of them. It caused a bit of an uproar when it was unveiled. The problems? The man was holding a rifle, the adults were wearing wedding rings, the child was a boy, and of course they were white. Not wanting to offend anyone, the unveiling of the statue was put on hold. I'm not sure what the final outcome was. A smaller edition was in front of the museum the last time I was there. I was very lucky to have found and bought one of his early bronzes at an estate auction several years back. Manuel takes great pains to insure that his Nez Perce inspired sculptures are authentic as to the style of clothes and items present. His works are purchased by collectors all over the world. When I was there in '95, he had many bronzes available for sale, priced between $2,000-$30,000. The town of Joseph is a bit of an artist's colony and is home to many painters and sculpters. When I was there last there weres two foundries specializing in lost-wax bronze casting. Tours of one the foundries were available. It is a very interesting process. The folks doing the casting and assembly are truly artists in their own right.
Also you should see what he has added I am not sure if it was there when you were last there he not has aftifacts from WW1 and WW2 and the cilval war. and yes that Oregon trail centinial is still in front of the museum. Joseph is still a very neat town I spend alot of time there today I did thow a line in the lake but did not catch any thing I was really tired and did not have the time I still had to drive home today I would have fished longer had I been spending the night. So do you think you will be able to come on my cruise?

I hope to, Lance. It's a great area. I'll probly get mixed up and end up trout fishing on the Lostine! ;D

AvaLance said:
ok I put you down as a very very maybe :rolleyes: Well I hope to see you here.
I know, it sounds a little cornball, and I've managed to miss some other GTG's in this area, but my life is mostly on hold until I take this friggin exam at the end of July.

:rolleyes:

welcom glenn_macky66 where are you from? are you in the eastern oregon area I would love to have a member in the area did you have a question about my cruise?

Back