• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Colorado Cruise In Sept?

Blueruck

I am thinking about having an AV rally in mid to late Sept in Denver. Let me know your interest and dates that work. I have to find out the date of a wedding to validate my available date. i.e. I need to check with the boss. :0:

If we end up with all 4x4's and Z71's and we want to have our cruise off road that would be a blast or we can have a meet in the Denver metro area and keep our trucks clean :( I know a couple of 4x4 areas that are fun and not real technical i.e we shouldn't break anything. :)

This is the list of CO members I have gathered off the board. If you know of other members, please let me know.

WeskiCO,Wrchism,Base_501,TimCOSCO,Smelch,coloradoAV, ColoradoJason, Spyderb, mrowe8,axeonefour, Nople, Exalt3

Let's chat about your thoughts and dates that work.

Sounds cool, Blue... Will check back with you later though, I'm completely zooped. Been packing and cooking since 6:00 tonight.

Heading up toward Taylor Reservoir early tomorrow AM. Camping, riding, hiking, fishing, drinking... ;) I'll snap some pics and share 'em with the board next week.

Have a great Labor Day Weekend!

Tim

i would be very interested but i have lots of fam coming to visit that month. please keep us informed with the dates. right know it looks like the weekend of the 28th would work for me. no fam out here but might have to work (bank needs to open 1 month ahead of schedule :8: ). i wont know for sure until we get closer to that weekend. i'm all for getting the av nice and dirty >:D

My '03 Av is scheduled for delivery on Monday Sept 23rd. :love: I'll need to head down to New Mexico to pick it up. So unless I head down there on a week day, I may not actually get back to Colorado Springs with it until late the 28th. So having a cruise on the 29th instead might work very nicely for me!

I'd personally like to have a nice little road cruise through the back country. I don't think I want to head off road in the first two days.

Blue,

would like nothing better than a Cruise in Sept. Unfortunately duty calls: I am an Army Helicopter Pilot and I'll be elsewhere until the end of October.

Please keep me in mind for a later one. Good idea.

Thanks,

Axeonefour

Sounds sweet - but just like everyone else I am swamped throughout this time of year. I coach youth football on saturdays and have season tickets to Broncos and Buffs. Leaves very little time for weekend/non football activities throughout November-December

I'm playing week to week as far as 'free' time . . but September / October is sure great crusing time in Colorado. If we could hit an area at the prime of aspen turning time it would be great.

There's a dirt road (really pretty mild) called the 'Oh My God Road' that runs from Idaho Springs to Central City that I remember as being quite spectacular as far as views go. Might give us a taste of mild off roading it without getting too crazy (Blueruck - - after seeing what you do in your Av off-road, I'm scared of your suggestions!). There's also lots of stuff to do up that way - Georgetown Loop, gambling towns, gold mine tours, etc. if so motivated!

A cruise to us sounds GREAT! I don't know what kind of plans we have later in the month but a cruise sounds so good, we'll probably make a few sacrifices with any other plans there may be just to do it. Of course it can only be on weekends though.

Of course we have a Z-71 so I'd be in favor of a mountain cruise and going over a pass or two (not too intense, now, Blueruck ;)). I've always wanted to see a bunch of AVs driving together with all those mean lookin front ends and low running lamps >:D.

Now guys - I wouldn't run us down any bad roads. :)

I had one in mind that is full of great views and you get to crawl over some small rocks and end up near Idaho Springs - from there we could go over Oh My God road to do a little gambling in BlackHawk. I have seen cars 1/2 way up this trail so it isn't real bad :)

From the sounds of the input maybe the last weekend in Sept would work best.

The 1st two weekends in Oct I will be in San Juan for some R&R with the GF.

I am pulling out for NM now to go meet up with the TX guys for the weekend :) ?should be a blast!!!

Thanks Nople. I will be safe and I look forward to the next. Godspeed you guys.

Axeonefour

I saw this site listed in a posting by PDX - this is right here in CO :) http://www.avalancheohvranch.com/events.htm

I am going to suggest 2 days for the cruise - which ever date gets the most votes will be the date of our cruise.

Sunday Sept 29th
Sunday Oct 13th

We will plan to meet on the north side of Denver around I70 and cruise up over the divide. I will plan to lunch in a mountian town followed by a 4x4 session before we part for the day. For those not wanting to 4x4, we will be near local attractions so you can play and wait to hear the 4x4 stories before the cruise back.

I picked this area since it was central between Greely and CO Springs.

I will work out the details and post them to this thread.

Blue,

I'm just checking, if you're suggesting 2 days for the cruise, does it start on a Sunday and end on Monday or start on Saturday and end on Sunday? If some of it is on Monday, we'll certainly have to miss the Monday part :cry:. Later on in the month we'll be able to decide whether Sept. 29 or Oct. 13 is better. I'd be in favor of just a FULL day of AV fun rather than two days in case we have to be somewhere else on one of those weekends.

I am planning for 1 full day of AV fun - it would be hard to get everyone together for 2 days.

I am off to get Vol 1 of Colorado Backroads and 4 Wheel Drive trails, so I can find a good trail.

Hey Blue,

We would probably go on a trail if the most we had to do is use 4HI from time to time. Otherwise, we would stay at the bottom. I'm sure you all would not want to go up a pass where half the vehicles there are cars unless the scenery is that good. We'll see what happens. I think 1 day of cruising is the best way to go. Find us a good trail, Blueruck!

Update

I have my new book and have decided upon a cruise route.

We will start in the Denver area and go up to Breckenridge - All AV's

We will take a break in Breckenridge and split up into off road and on road groups.

The On road group will have time to explore the Breckenridge area and then travel down Highway 9 to Fairplay for a meal with the Off Road Group.

The Off Road group will leave Breckenridge and go over Georgia Pass down to Highway 285 and into Fairplay. Georgia pass is rated a Moderate trail that can be done in a stock SUV. Our AV's will have no problems.

After eating in Fairplay and telling stories, we will split up to head back to our respective home towns.

For the Southern CO gang, Highway 9 goes to the Springs.

For the Metro and Northern gang, we will cruise 285 into the metro area and split up.

I will start to work on locations and time frames.

Does anyone want to be the focal for the non 4x4 section of the trip in Breckenridge?

i would just like to say that i'm all for getting my av dirty and you can count me in for the 29th >:D. i also have a colorado off roading book. i think its vol 2. if you need it let me know.

GREAT plan, Blue. I couldn't have thought of a better plan. Despite the fact that Georgia Pass is so steep up near the top, you can probably count us in for the off-roading too. Just one question: the eastern portion of Georgia Pass is very easy, but it's a different story on the western slope. Is the rating of 3 an average between the difficulty of both sides or does it include both sides together without averaging out the difficulty?

Fairplay is a town of only about 300 people, so there aren't many restaurants. Were you thinking of eating at the Fairplay hotel along highway 9, Blue? I don't know much about our plans for later this month but I'd be in favor of Sept. 29 for a better chance of avoiding any possible SNOW ;D!

How do those trails rate for those of us with the running boards........I like the idea of offroad but hate the idea of the cracked body pieces. I guess you could say that I am a yuppie suv owner. Any chance of body damage means I'm sticking to the pavement.........I paid way to much for this beast. ???

The 29th sounds good

MRow

While there is always a chance of doing damage when one goes off road - this trail is not rated where we should have any problems with the AV's.

I picked a trail that should be a little more fun than just a dirt road but not wild to the point we are going to crack up our AV's.

We could do lunch sometime and you can read about the trial in my book.

mrowe8 said:
How do those trails rate for those of us with the running boards...
Maybe a few of us could hook-up at a parking lot in Breck and take them off quick? Just mark the bracket positions with a sharpie and they should go back on nearly as fast.

CoAvZ71 said:
Just one question: the eastern portion of Georgia Pass is very easy, but it's a different story on the western slope. ?Is the rating of 3 an average between the difficulty of both sides or does it include both sides together without averaging out the difficulty?
The book states there is a 3 mile stretch on the north side that is steep and one section that is bumpy with multiple paths down through that we can choose from. If we get to a rough section we will get out and walk it.

Fairplay is a town of only about 300 people, so there aren't many restaurants. ?Were you thinking of eating at the Fairplay hotel along highway 9, Blue? I will either need to go on a scouting trip for a place to eat or I am very open to suggestions :) ?

I got two FRS radios for the Cloudcroft trip - these are great when cruising in a group. If you have one or two make sure you bring them.

It is looking like the 29th is the date unless I get a lot of votes soon against this date.

i've got an frs radio from a ski trip to the U.P. last year. since i'm from wisconsin i would have just one answer for the food question.

WE TAILGATE (y) (y)

Is there anyone who doesn't want to take the 4x4 route who would be willing to organize events for people not wanting to take the 4x4 route?

I will have a hard time being in two places at once and need help.

I am working on a flyer to take to local dealerships about the cruise. If anyone is interested I can get you the final product to take to your local dealer.

I would want you to go repersent the Colorado club and work with the dealer to send out the flyer to the people who have bought Avalanches from their dealership.

Back