• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Speedo shop in Portland area?

JoeSpicoli

SM 2004
I finally got myself a cluster with a trans temp gauge!  It's nothing special, not a Denali or Escalade cluster, just one out of a '01 Silverado 2500; so it'll keep my stock look.

I did a search on the internet and found a place listed as:

Speedometer Service & Instrument Co., Inc. 3551 NW Front Ave. Portland, OR 97210 (they have another entry that comes up, too: 530 NW 11th Ave, Portland, OR 97209)  What sucks is that they show their hours as M - F, 7 - 5.  Nothing on the weekend.  Grrr.

Anyone have experience with them or any other shop in the area?  I want to be able to take my new cluster down with me, pull the old one in the parking lot, take them both in, get the "new" one programmed with the hours and miles and not have to wait in their shop for hours as it is done (or sitting there not being done).  Or am I asking too much?

Thanks,

-Joe

None here I got my cluster from Primepower, so mine was GTG when I got it

JoeSpicoli said:
I finally got myself a cluster with a trans temp gauge!  It's nothing special, not a Denali or Escalade cluster, just one out of a '01 Silverado 2500; so it'll keep my stock look.

I did a search on the internet and found a place listed as:

Speedometer Service & Instrument Co., Inc. 3551 NW Front Ave. Portland, OR 97210 (they have another entry that comes up, too: 530 NW 11th Ave, Portland, OR 97209)  What sucks is that they show their hours as M - F, 7 - 5.  Nothing on the weekend.  Grrr.

Anyone have experience with them or any other shop in the area?  I want to be able to take my new cluster down with me, pull the old one in the parking lot, take them both in, get the "new" one programmed with the hours and miles and not have to wait in their shop for hours as it is done (or sitting there not being done).  Or am I asking too much?

Thanks,

-Joe

Speedo shop in Portland area?

Hey, I saw them at Joe's last night!  Course, you don't want to see me in a Speedo!

You meant swimsuit right?

:laugh:

speedo service is a good shop. when I was with Baxter's we got parts from and for them. we also refered many people there and never heard anyhing negitive back from them. I would call to see if tehy can actually reprogram it. BTW did you get that letter in the mail about the class action suit against GM about their instrument clusters?

wil

Too funny, Chris!

Thanks for the feedback, Wil.  I sent an email, but keep forgetting to call during the day.  I've not gotten a reply via email yet.

And I have not received anything on the class action about the GM instrument clusters.  I think I saw some thread about a recall or some sort of extended coverage, but I think it was for '03+.

-Joe

What year is your AV ???

Good it will work then. Your cladding looked like a 02 but I thought I better ask.

MichiganSilver03 said:
Good it will work then. Your cladding looked like a 02 but I thought I better ask.

Yep, there are not as many clusters out there with the trans temp gauge that will fit an '02, so it took me a while to snag one...

O M G!!!

I just called...they send the clusters out for programming; typically a 3 day turn around.  Cost?  $135 !?!?!?!  That's more than I paid for the cluster!

This isn't working out too well.   :needhug: Guess I should have done research on the programming before I bought the cluster.  :E:  I swear the shop in Denver was only like $45 and they did it on site.

Anyone have any other leads on where I can get this "new" cluster programmed?  Remember, I only have the Av to drive, so sending it out somewhere isn't an option for me at this point.

-Joe

do they have to have the AV for three day's or can they just send the VIN # with the cluster to have it programmed? Have you checked with theh dealership to see if they would do it and how much? If you need to you can borrow my AV while yours in in the  shop. I don't drive mine during the week.

I think they just need the cluster.  I talked to Andrew and he said they send the cluster out to be programmed but they can do the mechanical ones on site.  So really, they are just a middle-man on the digital cluster programming.

Thanks for the offer of borrowing your Av, Wil!  But I think I am just going to hold off for now.  $135 for programming is, IMHO, waaaaay too steep.  I paid $127 for the cluster.  If I add $135 just for programming, I'd be real close to a brand new cluster with programming from one of the site partners on here.  If it comes down to it, I'll just turn around a re-sell the cluster; a trans temp gauge is NOT worth that much to me.

Thanks again for the offer, Wil.

-Joe

Yes, yes it does...I just had to do a test/practice fit on it tonight.  Just a test, tho.  I didn't start the engine, but I turned the key on. 

That cluster only has 71117 miles on it...that's kinda low for an '01.

-Joe

Attachments

• jsNew Cluster 002resize.JPG
    jsNew Cluster 002resize.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 21
Back