• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

tailgate will not stay closed

gonfishn

I have an 03 Avalanche and I have posted here before and have found it very helpful I thought I would try again. My rear tailgate can not be locked, as well as when it is shut it will not latch closed. This started a week or so back and it has been getting harder to close by the day. When I say harder to close I mean it won't stay latched shut. Has anyone had this problem? Replacing all the lock mechanism looks like a pain in the - - - to do!!! Any info on this I would be again as always, very grateful    Chris D.                                                                                   

Have you tried taking off the rear bed panel too see if it latches then.  I had a problem with mine after I adjusted the bed panels, had to go back and re-adjust to move the bed panel more forward.  Just a thought.

lift the release handle and spray some wd40 or other penatrant as high up and near the centre of the handle. there is a wishbone type arm in there that pulls the rods that is famous for rusting ans seizing up. we see it all the time on the pickups that come into our shop.

m t  pockets said:
lift the release handle and spray some wd40 or other penatrant as high up and near the centre of the handle. there is a wishbone type arm in there that pulls the rods that is famous for rusting ans seizing up. we see it all the time on the pickups that come into our shop.

(y)

I was going to suggest that.  Also, I occasionally have trouble locking the tailgate and I noticed that this happenes when I do not close it hard enough.  I simply open it again and close it a bit harder and I find the key turns easier and allows it to lock.  But the WD-40 is very helpful.

Also, I learned early on that the tailgate will only lock when it is fully closed.  So after having it open shortly after leaving for our first vacation, and with lots of stuff sitting at the end of the bed, I had the tailgate drop open on the freeway.  :eek:  I pulled over, closed it and locked it.  This is about when I learned it will not lock if it is not closed all the way.  I quickly began locking it all the time just to make sure it was closed securly.

This might help.
To test latch I do this.
With tailgate down.
Use a screwdriver to push the latch into a locked position.
If it locks, unlock it with the tailgate handle. Nothing wrong.

If the latch says spring back to a open position, not latching.
It's just a rod adjustment. You can do this with the tailgate open.
Under the tailgate bezel. You should see a green plastic clip. Clamped around a threaded rod.
Open the plastic clip. Push the latch into a locked position. Re-close the plastic clip. Test with the handle. If everything works. Go ahead and close the tailgate and give a good tug.

Spraying a penetrating lubricant on the lock clasps on both sides of the tailgate fixed the problem for me.

DJ

Thanks very much I did pop the rear panel of and the locking system was fine it was the out side locks thanks again.....duct tape and lubricate!!!!!  that was great and how true    Thanks

glad i found this one i think those green thing are off a lil on mine ill do it tomorrow see how it turns out thanks guys

Back