• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Removing the resonator -Pros, Cons & Advise

M

mitranom

So I'm thinking of removing the resonator on my '08 Avalanche and just putting a strait pipe on that exits out back with a tip that a friend of mine got for me. Is there anything I should know about removing from the resonator back? Do I need it? Is it illegal? What will happen with the sound of the truck? Will there be an increase or decrease of HP & TQ? Will my mpg go up or down?

If anyone has done it before, please post pics and vids.

I know there is plenty of questions, but I am on a tight budget and cant get a perf exhaust right now so I think this will have to do for now.

Hi mitranom,
I have not gone that route on my 2008, I went with a full cat back system (Corsa). I understand budget though.
Since it looks like you are planning to keep the muffler and cats you should NOT loose much back pressure so you should not loose your low range torque. The resonator is there to quietthings down and help prevent the drone inside the cab. Removing it may increase the inside noise and only you and your family can say if it's music to your ears or aggravating.
As far as legality you will need to check your state's State Police or inspections website for the laws in your area. If you have local inspection stations you could call or stop by and ask them if it would pass inspection.
That small of a change to your exhaust probably won't have much effect on your MPG. As with any exhaust system it all depends on the driver and usually you like the increased sound so much that you tend to put your foot into it to hear the growl and then the gas mileage goes down, so don't expect better gas mileage unless you have a light foot.

not sure how removing the resonator will effect a stock system, but it makes a HUGE difference in a Flomaster 40 with a resonator and one without it.

Now will removing the resonator cause any long term problems? Will it void my warranty? Does the V8 to V4 get affected? I just went to a chevy dealership to get some stuff done and they said that cutting the exhaust and removing the resonator will void the 3 yr 36,00mi warranty and on top of that, it will cause probs with the v8 to v4.

mitranom said:
Now will removing the resonator cause any long term problems? Will it void my warranty? Does the V8 to V4 get affected? I just went to a chevy dealership to get some stuff done and they said that cutting the exhaust and removing the resonator will void the 3 yr 36,00mi warranty and on top of that, it will cause probs with the v8 to v4.

I have no idea how removing a resonator, the only purpose of which is to (duh) dampen unwanted mostly cabin resonance, could reasonably become a warranty issue or have any effect on DOD/AFM performance. On the other hand(s), arguing with a dealer and/or GM, even if you're right, over warranty stuff is never fun and why you'd want to remove it in the first place completely escapes me.

I want to remove it because I dont like its location, i want a louder exhaust for cheap (i am on a tight budget right now and just need something to hold me over) and i heard people have done it on tahoe's and suburbans but some stories they say are on either side of the spectrum. IE some people think its good while others dont. I think a member, whos name sliped my mind right now, did it to his 07 and it sounds pretty good.

mitranom said:
I want to remove it because I dont like its location, i want a louder exhaust for cheap (i am on a tight budget right now and just need something to hold me over) and i heard people have done it on tahoe's and suburbans but some stories they say are on either side of the spectrum. IE some people think its good while others dont. I think a member, whos name sliped my mind right now, did it to his 07 and it sounds pretty good.

Location I understand; especially if you're an off-roader. I also understand tight budget and louder for cheap.....when I was 16 I punched holes in my straight six Chevy's perfectly good  muffler with a screwdriver and loosened the exhaust manifold bolts so the manifold leaked. I did get loud and I thought it was cool, but, wow, was my dad ever pissed. Personally, I think GM has done a pretty decent job with the stock Sub/Av exhaust system. Just realize that once you've cut it, you're into it.... and that Murphy's Law dictates that any cabin drone problem will peak at whatever is your normal road speed

ltxi said:
Location I understand; especially if you're an off-roader. I also understand tight budget and louder for cheap.....when I was 16 I punched holes in my straight six Chevy's perfectly good  muffler with a screwdriver and loosened the exhaust manifold bolts so the manifold leaked. I did get loud and I thought it was cool, but, wow, was my dad ever pissed. Personally, I think GM has done a pretty decent job with the stock Sub/Av exhaust system.

Yeah but its not just for a cool thing. I just like the sound of a v8 and like it more when it purrs like one too. I also like the sound of the Escalades but it is also a larger system. I just dont have 400 bucks to dish out for a custom exhaust right now as I am finishing up my degree. If I dont end up removing the resonator, i will just end up cutting the tail pipe and weld a new one on that exits out back and that will have to do for now.

how tight of a budget you talking?  My exhaust place quoted me $250-300 for a flowmasterset up.  Im gonna piece myself one together.  Get a muffler first, find some badda$$ tips, then show up later and have someone weld it on with tailpipes.  Waiting game but thats how its gonna be for me and my budget

I believe Travelingman had this done to one of his AV's in TN.  I don't recall there being a problem and I thought it did give it a "close to flowmaster" sound.

On the flip side of that, a few weeks ago I had new tires put on and asked the shop to price me a flowmaster catback system ($700).  I made the comment of just cutting off the resonator.  They said it would mess up the 02 sensors and make the check engine light remain on.

I'm doubting this but yet it stopped me from breaking out the sawzall  :E:

thanks for the advise. I think for now i'm going to wait. When it comes time, I will just get a corsa or flowmaster. do it once and do it right.

mitranom said:
thanks for the advise. I think for now i'm going to wait. When it comes time, I will just get a corsa or flowmaster. do it once and do it right.

Check your local shops before you give up, I installed a Super 44 and 2.5" pipes exiting just behind each wheel. I tucked them up so you barely see them below the cladding (didn't have to buy tips) and they did everything for 200.00.

I have a 2007 that I cut the Resonator off of and it sounds fantastic.  It really helps to give the growl that most are looking for.  I went a step futher and installed an exhaust cutout that routes around the muffler and ties back together past the muffler with dual exhaust tips out of the rear.  Now, with the flip of a switch, I can have stealth stock quiet, or flip the switch the other way and I can have the growl that trucks are meant to have.

On another note, a friend of mine, Avalanche Wolf and Avalanche Fox, took their 07 Avalanche to my exhaust shop and had a Flowmaster 40 installed and, to be quite honest, was not smiling when he returned from his test drive.  I suggested cutting off the Resonator, which was done, and the smile came across his face when the Av fired up.

The Resonator simply is a secondary muffler to reduce cab noise.  Nothing more, nothing less.  No harm in getting rid of it.

trAVelingman said:
The Resonator simply is a secondary muffler to reduce cab noise.  Nothing more, nothing less.  No harm in getting rid of it.

That's what I thought I had read.  I knew you would chime in on this.    (y) (y)

as I said in my last post..i removed the resonator and have had no issues whatsoever.. It is a little louder.. emphasize "little". I ended up putting a magnaflow on and it sounds much better.. and still have no issues.. the resonation was pretty annoying when pulling my camper up some pretty steep hills and pushing wind and I was ready to revert. I ended up removing the Volant CAI and put the stock back on to see if it made a difference.Going back to the stock air box helped alot.

After reading these last few posts, I think I just might get it cut off. All i needed was that extra advise and encouregement to take it off. Like I said, I'm not looking for a loud truck, I just want a better sound. I love how the escalades sound and I realize it is due to a larger exhaust and a larger engine..that was my goal. I think the only thing that was holding me back is that this is my first new truck and I'm always afraid of cutting or modding anything since I dont want to deal with any warrenty issues down the road. I will remove it ASAP....don't have much time right now since I'm in school taking exams for Construction Management.

A month ago I put some aux lights behind the grill of my truck and at the back of the truck near the hitch. It looks really good and was the best thing I did esp the rears for hooking and unhooking the boat from the hitch at night. The best part of this set up is that I didnt have to drill any holes in the firewall to put switchs on...the lights turn on by remote. I will get some pics asap.

I can't thank ya'll how greatfull I am for all the input. This site is really a great place. :B:

I moved your last post to here;

do not want to cross mix threads http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,104593.msg1653173.html#msg1653173

It worked out well. This is only a slight difference. I did it more because it looks better without it. I figured the silverados don't have it so why should the avalanche's? I also did a jr cold air intake and it makes the exhaust note sound better.

I have an 07 4x4 with the 6.0 engine. I'm thinking of doing the same. When I start her up it sounds deep and throaty.

Does the 6.0 have a different stock exhaust compared to the 5.3?

I'm not so sure replacing stock muffler with a magnaflow or cat back would make much difference for performance.

Anyway of finding out if the exhaust on the 6.0 is different?

Okay this may be a dumb question but where is the resonatorlocated? before or after the  muffler, or cats

trAVelingman said:
I have a 2007 that I cut the Resonator off of and it sounds fantastic.  It really helps to give the growl that most are looking for.  I went a step futher and installed an exhaust cutout that routes around the muffler and ties back together past the muffler with dual exhaust tips out of the rear.  Now, with the flip of a switch, I can have stealth stock quiet, or flip the switch the other way and I can have the growl that trucks are meant to have.

On another note, a friend of mine, Avalanche Wolf and Avalanche Fox, took their 07 Avalanche to my exhaust shop and had a Flowmaster 40 installed and, to be quite honest, was not smiling when he returned from his test drive.  I suggested cutting off the Resonator, which was done, and the smile came across his face when the Av fired up.

I recently had a Flowmaster 50 SUV installed.  There is a subtle difference in sound.  I was really looking for something a little louder.  It seems like this mod will do the trick from what I read in your post.  What do you think?  Thanks.

trAVeling man, can you please update me on you friends set-up with the resonator removed.  Have there been any issues.  As I posted before, I have a Flowmaster 50 with the resonator still on and the sound isn't quite what I had expected.  Thanks.

I know iam a little late on the response and you have already removed the resonator.  When I first bought my truck I couldnt stand the look of not haveing a nice chrome tip coming from the side, so I resulted in cutting off the resonator hoping to get somewhat of a little sound.  It did not affect my MPG and i wasnt expecting any power gains at all.  I got what I wanted which was a complete look of the back end of my truck.  I kind like the little drone it gives off and somewhat of a cam rumble at idle, especially cold starts  LOL.  Well anyways not really much to say, its really simple mod just cut off the resonator and weld on a tip where desired..  I thought I would post some pics as well since I took some.  I hope this helps somebody in the future as well.

IMG00035-20091020-1757.jpg

IMG00034-20091020-1757.jpg

Back