• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

2002 5.3 avalanche performance upgrades

chevypro101

I bought a 2002 z71 avalanche with the 5.3.. I installed a k&N cold air kit, and cat back exhaust.. I had a hypertech programmer but it did nothing.. is there any performance upgrades that can be done cheaply  that is worth it.. besides turbo, nitrous, supercharger ??? I know some vehicles have factory parts that are very restrictive is there any in this case?? intake?? headers and so on?? thanks :help:

:welcome: to the club chevypro101
You could try a Nelson or HP tune. People here seem to be very satisfied with the results. Someone with more info on these will chime in soon I am sure  (y)
Which HyperTech tuner did you have? And which tune did you load?

I bought I guess it was one of the first hypertechs made.. The only good part was the speed limiter.. 87 or 93 no diffrence between performance checked with g tech at same spot and same weather conditions.. I know the 2002 there aren't to many programmers as the 2003 up.. Truck runs better then I thought for only a 5.3 in a 4 wheel drive sled.. I read some where about replacing intake manifold to a corvette one but I can find that right  up any more.. I just don't want to try random performance mods in hope for a feelable diffrence and it not be there.. So pretty much any help is welcome.. Thanks

Guys do you get much out of putting headers and full exaust on? I know I picked up 30RWHP on my TA but kinda a different critter :>

The hypertech shuld have done something. Have you checked your plugs and compression?

The other tuners are a little more agressive.

Back