• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

TECH: 6 Lug 14 Bolt Conversion in a 1/2 Ton Avalanche

Gear Man

This purpose of this project is to prep. a 6 Lug 14 Bolt SF axle into a 1/2 Ton Avalanche.  I want to say that the guy I am building this for is a member on this board.  I am sure he will chime in.  BTW I also built the axle that is now under Lord Aries' truck.  I have to brag a little because that axle turned out AWESOME!

Here is what will be done:

1.  Geared to 3.73 with a Detroit True Trac
2.  New Bearings and Seals
3.  Adapt Factory Disk Brakes
4.  Custom 4 Link Bracketry

Here is the bare housing:

P1010035.jpg

These next two pictures give an idea as to how large the internals are on this axle:

P1010038.jpg

P1010039.jpg

This particular axle is out of a 97 GM Van (HINT HINT).  The 88-98 3/4 Ton 6 lug vans are an untapped source for these axles.  They are 68" wide, so they match the width of the factory Avy axle.  Also, the OEM brakes are easily adaptable to this axle. 

More pics and tech will follow.

Good to see you here Bryan!!! Welcome to our site...

I don't hate to brag, my axle is kick azz! Its a beast and I have no worries about it under the truck.

P.S. I think you need a better camera through, we are hardcore about pictures here. haha :p

Lord Aries said:
Good to see you here Bryan!!! Welcome to our site...

I don't hate to brag, my axle is kick azz! Its a beast and I have no worries about it under the truck.

P.S. I think you need a better camera through, we are hardcore about pictures here. haha :p

The camera is a good one.  I just think the axle build is too awesome for it to capture clearly.

One thing that is going to be different about this build is that Mark (my fabricator) and I are going to come up with aftermarket weld on bracketry to alleviate the need to hunt for housings or ship axles.

Also, to give an idea of the beef that is in this particular axle, the true trac with the ring gear installed is close to 50 lbs!  I have to be very careful not to smash my fingers with this thing.

it appears the axle you're building is a semi-float 14 bolt, why not just do the full floater like LA did?

jimbo53188 said:
it appears the axle you're building is a semi-float 14 bolt, why not just do the full floater like LA did?

Cost and complexity.  The 14 bolt FF is a stronger axle but you would have to convert it to 6 lug, and then there is the parking  brake issue. 

With the semi floater, you save $$ by already having the correct bolt pattern, the factory brakes  bolt up with very little modification, and you still have the benefit of much larger internals.

Gear Man said:
Cost and complexity.  The 14 bolt FF is a stronger axle but you would have to convert it to 6 lug, and then there is the parking issue. 

With the semi floater, you save $$ by already having the correct bolt pattern, the factory brakes  bolt up with very little modification, and you still have the benefit of much larger internals.

yea, i was willing to run 8 lug wheels on the rear and since i have the manual I don't really need the E-Brake. When I park in Granny gear it ain't moving... Although i have some of the parts thanks to Bryan needed to hook up a custom E-Brake to the 14 Bolt FF... I just been too lazy to get on it because I have not had a need for it and don't have vehicle inspections where I live.

Plus, by Motor and Tire size set up demanded the biggest thing I could put under the rear end for future growth.

Oh yea, and there is that saying that I live by with my AV. "Its not worth building unless you over build it!" (y)

Gear Man :welcome: to the club.  Sounds like you're a wealth of knowledge and seeing LA?s AV first hand, I'd say you know what you're doing.  Looking forward to seeing more of this project

Lukas said:
Gear man didn't you have a SAS/v8 conversion going on? (I use to lurk GMfullsize)

I did.  I since cancelled the project because I could no longer justify investing $20K into a vehicle that I could only use every once in a while. 

I am still building the engine for my daily driver though (MPFI SBC 406  :cool:).  I am also putting a straight axle up front in place of the IFS with a disked and locked 6 lug 14 Bolt FF in the rear.  Hopefully soon I will be swapping in my NV4500 as well.  All in all, it will be one unique DD.

I've talked to Gear Man myself.  Due to money situations, truck acting up,  and moving i cant get the new 14sf under my truck just yet, but very soon Bryan, Ill be in the market to get her rolling.  He def knows what he is talking about.

Loggie said:
Gear Man :welcome: to the club.  Sounds like you're a wealth of knowledge and seeing LA?s AV first hand, I'd say you know what you're doing.  Looking forward to seeing more of this project

Thanks.  All of the rebuild parts were ordered yesterday.  This weekend will be busy as I plan to pick up a bare housing for Mark to build a jig off of in order to make the 4 link and panhard brackets for the other axle.  Also, I plan to get the differential assembled as well. 

Gear Man said:
Thanks.  All of the rebuild parts were ordered yesterday.  This weekend will be busy as I plan to pick up a bare housing for Mark to build a jig off of in order to make the 4 link and panhard brackets for the other axle.  Also, I plan to get the differential assembled as well. 

You guys didn't keep the jig from mine?

Lord Aries said:
You guys didn't keep the jig from mine?

Believe it or not, mark did yours free hand.  All he used was a tape measure and an angle finder.  Yours was a different animal because all that was done was a bracket transplant. 

For this build, the brackets are being made.  The housing is needed to ensure the jig has the proper mounting locations for the links, panhard, and coil spring mounts.

Gear Man said:
Believe it or not, mark did yours free hand.  All he used was a tape measure and an angle finder.  Yours was a different animal because all that was done was a bracket transplant. 

For this build, the brackets are being made.  The housing is needed to ensure the jig has the proper mounting locations for the links, panhard, and coil spring mounts.

WOW, I didn't know he did it free handed it... Thats awesome, takes some real skills to do that.

Alright guys, more progress has been made.  This passed weekend I dropped off the housings at Mark's place so he can get to work on making the 4 link and panhard brackets.

I also put the differential together.  The whole assembled differential must weigh more then 50 lbs!  :eek:  There is definitely enough beef in the parts.

DrX said:
Subscribing to track progress on my new rear end.

Awesome, you are here.  I noticed you are using some stuff from Moates.  I really like his products.

Gear Man said:
Awesome, you are here.  I noticed you are using some stuff from Moates.  I really like his products.

The Moates RR  is about the only thing in my sig that is not about to change!

Alright guys, here are few pictures of what has been happening to the axle.

This is a shot of the axle on the jig stand getting ready for the disk brake set-up.  Those backing plates are from Lord Aries' old 10 bolt:

P1010048.jpg

P1010049.jpg

Here is a screen shot of Mark's CAD program with the brackets for this axle being drawn up:

P1010051.jpg

Here is the CNC Plasma Table where it will all be burned out:

P1010050.jpg

More progress was made yesterday.  (y) I was able to successfully mock up the disk brakes to get the appropriate measurement for the spacers.  However, me being the genious that I am, I left the camera at work and couldn't take pictures.  I want to thank XL Parts for allowing me to purchase the loaded caliper and rotor for set up purposes and then return them when I am done. :cool:

so, have you come up w/ a price for this thing....is it to late to do another?

Back