• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Cleaning, Restoring Plastic tonneau, body panels.

beachboy27

What should I use to freshen and restore the black plastic panels on my 04 Z71? They are just starting to fade and I want to catch them before they are that whitish grey I see so often.

Thanks.

beachboy27 said:
What should I use to freshen and restore the black plastic panels on my 04 Z71? They are just starting to fade and I want to catch them before they are that whitish grey I see so often.

Thanks.

Check out http://www.gatorbackcoatings.com/  for a more permanant solution

Others should chime in for other ideas that require re-treatment a few times a year.

Well I have a 2008, so don't know if this helps if they arre already faded, but, I cleaned mine real good, then put turtle wax Ice car polish on them, seems to work really well, they haven't even hinted at starting to fade yet.  This new turtle wax Ice is awesome, you can use it on everything on the truck, paint, glass and the plastic panels.  Don't think I will be using anything else from now on, this stuff is like magic, and Sssoooo easy to use, no hard rubbing, put it on and wipe, that is about it.

http://www.icepolish.com/?tid=1949&gclid=CJv82KjCqZQCFQ4hnAod2FhlgA

Oh by the way, you don't have to get it online, Autozone, O'Reilly's and just about any place that has an automotive department has this stuff.

Hi all,
Plastic cladding, tonneau covers, sail panels......a friend of mine told me immediately after I bought my 2005 that I should just spray them and wipe off with WD-40. It works. doesn't cost an arm or leg, I spray on a towel and wipe on.  No gray has shown up yet, and I do not get it on my paint.

I think the mod portion of this site is great.

Have fun.

IslandAvy said:
Hi all,
Plastic cladding, tonneau covers, sail panels......a friend of mine told me immediately after I bought my 2005 that I should just spray them and wipe off with WD-40. It works. doesn't cost an arm or leg, I spray on a towel and wipe on.  No gray has shown up yet, and I do not get it on my paint.

Have fun.
I would think it would collect dust pretty bad?

IslandAvy said:
Hi all,

Have fun.
Watch out for it to run on your paint when it gets wet.

How often do you want to apply stuff?

if ya every week then use armor type..

if once a month try tire shine stuff

if once a year try Future floor wax

If one time then gatorback

Back