• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Key for locking cargo compartments

starchild1314

I bought a 2007 avalanche and cant seem to open the outside storage compartments in the bed area. Can anyone tell me how I can go about getting replacement key for these storage compartments? I tried the key that is used to start the truck and this would not open the compartment. Is the truck key supposed to be the key for these locking compartments? If not anyone know how I can get a new one made, I didnt get any other keys when I bought the vehicle. 

It's the same key as you start the AV with.  Might have to mess with it a bit.  Make sure its in all the way.  When its unlocked you then have to push the key hole (like a button) to open it.

If I remember correctly:
The key hole being vertical = unlocked
The key hole horrizontal = locked
  If its locked you cant push the button in.  If its unlocked it will push in and pop open.

Hi starchild1314,
Your ignition key should work the storage boxes. Can you insert the key and turn the lock? IF so you then remove the key and push in on the keyway. It will unlatch the compartment and you can then open it.
If you can't turn the key then maybe you need a locksmith to check it out for you. He should be able to make sure everything works if you bought it used. If you bought it new take it to the dealer and they will replace the locks and make sure they are keyed to the ignition key under the bumper to bumper warranty. (I had that done on my 2004 I owned.)
One thing not to do is slam the lids shut when they are locked. I usually push in the lock when i shut the lid then lock things up.

I'd also suggest some time reading the owner's manual to understand how they work.

DougD said:
I'd also suggest some time reading the owner's manual to understand how they work.

This is true but, what happened to the sales staff at dealers.  I know when I worked as one in 96 we had to do a complete walk around each vehicle that we showed.  Show the operation of each and every option, from windows and seats to DVD players.  I guess no one takes pride any longer.  :E:

Tango Chaser said:
This is true but, what happened to the sales staff at dealers.  I know when I worked as one in 96 we had to do a complete walk around each vehicle that we showed.  Show the operation of each and every option, from windows and seats to DVD players.  I guess no one takes pride any longer.  :E:

They have no clue, and their job isn't to teach you about the vehicle IMO.  That's why there's an owner's manual!

Thanks for the help. After reading the ignition key should work I went out and tried it again. I was trying to open them but didnt know you needed to push in to release the latch. So your repsonses helped thanks much, just feel a bit dumber after figuring this one out. I guess I was worried about breaking the lock and/or the key.

Back