• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Oil capacity

wwheeler

I have a 2007 Avalanche LT with 5.3 engine, book says 6 qts but that puts the level about 1/2 inch above the hash marks on dip stick. If left there the oil pressure is very erratic at interstate speed, if I drain about 1/2 qt out pressure will be steady at 40 psig. Anyone else have this problem ? Thanks in advance.
Wwheeler

welcome to the club wwheeler
40psi at highway speed seems low, I'd check with the dealer to be sure you had the right dipstick 

Took my truck to dealer today, had them change oil and filter, verify I had the correct size filter, made sure all oil was drained, checked the dipstick against two other 07's they had on used car lot. All this checked out, then they put in 5 qts, ran engine and checked level it was low, added 1/2 qt ran engine again and checked it was right on the full mark. So it looks like my 5.3 engine holds 5.5 qts. I guess I'm happy !

My '07 has never held but a smiggin over 5.5 quarts either, with a new filter (PF4:cool:, after running it warm, and letting it sit til it drains down.  Six quarts puts the level at least 1/4 inch above the full line.  I always use just over 5.5 qts and drink the last 1/2 qt.  And, mine reads about 45 psi crusing at 55 mph after its fully warmed up and goes to just under 60 psi under hard acceleration.

Rocky07 said:
  I always use just over 5.5 qts and drink the last 1/2 qt. 

Damn, how come I never thought of that!!  Have the same issue with my 4.5+ quart Hondas, too...and none of my engines burn any oil. Damn.....what a great idea!

ltxi said:
Damn, how come I never thought of that!!  Have the same issue with my 4.5+ quart Hondas, too...and none of my engines burn any oil. Damn.....what a great idea!

Keeps your complexion soft and smooth as a "baby's butt".... :love:

Back