• If you currently own, previously owned or want to own an Avalanche, we welcome you to become a member today. Membership is FREE, register now!

Silverado SS bumper on an 03 WBH?

patschlotzhauer

Was involved in a traffic accident today with my '03 WBH.? Damage appeared light, but the $2,800 estimate revealed that a new front bumper, grille, air deflector, etc would be necessary.? I would like to try to turn this unfortunate event into an opportunity.? Here's what I'd like to do:

Instead of purchasing a new OEM style bumper and associated parts and returning the Av to stock condition, is it possible to instead install the bumper and associated parts off of a silverado SS?? I'm sure this has been done, so I'm looking for advise on where to get these parts, as well as part numbers, est prices, install tips, etc.?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's a pic of the damage....

Attachments

• av damage 1.JPG
    av damage 1.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 426
Sorry to hear about the missap.

Yes,i have one myself.

SS Bumper Covers run on eBay for well under $300.
Remove lower valance,wrap new bumper on existing and wolla.

Use "silverado SS" for your search on eBay.

Thanks for the responses, sounds like it's an easy mod.

Do the fog lamps line up with the new SS cover, or is their anything special required there? 

Boone said:
Thanks for the responses, sounds like it's an easy mod.

Do the fog lamps line up with the new SS cover, or is their anything special required there??

No. They dont line up perfect. Besides,cant be noticed unless you get on your knees and look behind the bumper. Also you wont lose fog light output either.  No big deal.

Here one

Link

Heres an ongoing auction on eBay

Link

"But Now" on eBay

Link

The 1st 2 links above are for SS bumper replicas (thats what i have)

3rd link is original part but you may have to buy the fog light pieces seperate. (most folks buy the replicas. They look the same as originals)

From a body shop guy, here is some more info to help you out. From looking at your picture it looks like your chrome bumper might be bent and the brackets behind might be comprimised also. If this is the case and your wanting to put a aftermarket SS cover on you have to remember that it will cover your chrome bumper. If your chrome bumper is bent or your brackets behind are bent the cover will not line up. Another option is you can buy the factory SS bumper which will replace your chrome bumper.

Just remember that the aftermarket SS bumper covers your chrome bumper and the factory SS bumper replaces your chrome bumper. Hope this helps!

A little poking around here will find you some details, I believe including part numbers and how to relocate the fogs to be 100% fit.

http://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php/topic,73883.0.html

Here's a nice SS Conv.

Thanks for the link, that's the look I'd like to have.? I've purchased an SS bumper cover off ebay from ALLDAY FABRICATIONS (check out item #320075586545).? Will hopefully get it and the Av to the body shop next week....will let everyone know how it turns out.?

The dealership is about your olnly choice, unless you keep a vigilant watch on Ebay. 

As long as the bodyshop is painting your bumper cover, have them scuff the chrome on the grill and shoot it black as well.  Then the only way to tell it's not a reall SS grill is the honeycomb insert, but not everyone knows it's different...

Boone said:
I assume a standard '03-'05 silverado grill is the same as the '03+ WBH grill....is this correct??

Correct, non-HD Silverado '03-'05's are interchangeable with same year WBH Av's...

SpikeAV said:
From a body shop guy, here is some more info to help you out. From looking at your picture it looks like your chrome bumper might be bent and the brackets behind might be comprimised also. If this is the case and your wanting to put a aftermarket SS cover on you have to remember that it will cover your chrome bumper. If your chrome bumper is bent or your brackets behind are bent the cover will not line up. Another option is you can buy the factory SS bumper which will replace your chrome bumper.

Just remember that the aftermarket SS bumper covers your chrome bumper and the factory SS bumper replaces your chrome bumper. Hope this helps!
Just to throw another question in the mix...

Will the factory SS bumper look more tru to body  since it's the original, or it extends out in the front just as far as the replica on TOP of the OE chrome bump?

I'm just tryin to make sure it look as close as physically possible to the SS silverado or authentic SS Avalanche.

Thanx

Finally got mine back from the body shop with the ebay bumper cover.? Overall it looks really good, but it does not fit perfectly.? The body shop guy said it was very difficult to install.? He installed it over the existing bumper, which he had to straighten due to the accident.? He said he straightend it out and replaced the brackets before installing the cover, but still had difficulty making it line up perfectly.? The gap below the turn signals are not the same on each side, so it is fitting a little crooked.? You probably wouldn't notice it from 5 feet, but if you look closer, you can certainly see it.? I will post pictures soon.?

Overall, I am satisified but not impressed.? I only paid $300 with shipping from allday_customs on ebay, so I am sure it is much cheaper than going with an all OEM SS bumper, but if you want a perfect fit you may want to pay the premium..

Here's a link if anyone is interested....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SS-Bumper-Cover-Silverado-99-02-Tahoe-Suburban-00-06_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33640QQihZ011QQitemZ320087485516QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

whoops, just realized that link is the wrong one....

Try this one instead...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-Silverado-Avalanche-SS-Bumper-Cover-03-04-05-06_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33640QQihZ011QQitemZ320087487200QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Armageddon said:
Just to throw another question in the mix...

Will the factory SS bumper look more tru to body? since it's the original, or it extends out in the front just as far as the replica on TOP of the OE chrome bump?

I'm just tryin to make sure it look as close as physically possible to the SS silverado or authentic SS Avalanche.

Thanx

Sorry the response took so long but I didn't see the thread. The factory SS bumper will look more true to the body, is easier to install and will not stick out as far as the cover. As far as sticking out though there shouldn't be that much difference....I'm mean we're talking about maybe a 1/4 inch. Also as stated about you will have fitment issues that you won't have with factory.

Anyways which ever way you go all that really matters is that your happy with the finished product! Keep moddin!

SpikeAV said:
Sorry the response took so long but I didn't see the thread. The factory SS bumper will look more true to the body, is easier to install and will not stick out as far as the cover. As far as sticking out though there shouldn't be that much difference....I'm mean we're talking about maybe a 1/4 inch. Also as stated about you will have fitment issues that you won't have with factory.

Anyways which ever way you go all that really matters is that your happy with the finished product! Keep moddin!
No prob i appreciate it... My only worry with the factory SS bump was the fog lights, and it would be a good place to mount them. I'm not sure how they actually mount up so i cant really even make a good guess on how i would attach them.

Back